What skills are needed?

6 0 0

I am migrating from BigCommerce to Shopify and will be using the District theme which we can handle setting up to look the way we need it. My big question is for any other store modifications what skills would I look for in hiring outside help?

We will need to get some custom data from the account registration page and I understand that this will be stored in the customers metafields. If I wanted this data to be displayed on the customers page in admin who would I need to get help from? I am sure that we will need a few customizations like this throughout the site but I do not know enough about how Shopify works and what coding will be required and that makes it really hard to search for help.

There are a lot of different terms thrown around like Full Stack, Developer, engineer, Front End and so on but I am not sure who I need without having more knowledge about the Shopify platform. Please help me understand what will benefit me most when looking to hire outside help.

I use to do all my own HTML and CSS on some sites years ago and stumbled my way through an open source ecommerce platform called ZenCart for a few years but abandoned that when my business got bigger and PCI compliance became an issue.

Thank you,
Marc

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
94 9 15

Hey, @OtterlyFoolish!

That's a great question. Trying to understand programming and the various languages can seem overwhelming if you don't have formal experience or knowledge in this area. The good news is that's totally ok! It's not a requirement by any means.

In your case, you may be best off looking to hire a qualified freelancer/agency through our Shopify Experts platform. This is where you can hire experts by services they provide, or create a job and receive proposals from recommended experts. The great thing about this is they all have experience working with the Shopify platform. This eliminates the headache and the guesswork to determine if they are qualified and have prior experience working on Shopify stores. If that is something you want to check out we have a step-by-step guide on how to find and hire a Shopify expert.

However, if you would like to learn more about Shopify's templating language, also known as Liquid, you can learn more about that here. 

Let me know if that helps!

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes

Hi @OtterlyFoolish 

That's a weird username. You should check out AssetEcommerce on Fiverr. https://www.fiverr.com/assetecommerce

Wondering how to get more sales? Wondering how some people make millions of dollars in sales yearly? The answer - EMAIL COPYWRITING. Lame ass email copy won't sell jack shit. Hire a team of expert copywriters for the price of one. https://cutt.ly/vruA570
0 Likes