Why do I see a different version of the Checkout process when I'm logged in?

Tourist
7 0 0

Hello, I notice that when I'm logged into my Shopify account & then walk through the checkout process, I see an entirely different thing after I leave the cart than I do when I am NOT logged-in.

Here's what I see what I'm logged in:

yw-checkout-signedin.pngWhen logged-in, I see this.

And here's what I see when I'm logged out:

yw-checkout-incognito.pngWhen NOT logged-in, I see this.

1) So my first question about this is just, Why is this?

2) My second question about this is will any customer ever see the same screen I see when I'm logged in? I want to make sure they WON'T because the version I see does not give the ESTIMATED SHIPPING TIMES beneath each service, and that's really important to customers obviously.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
268 22 43

Hello! 

My name is Ren and I'm from the Shopify support team. Without seeing any additional details, I suspect that in the first image you are looking at the mobile preview on your theme editor and the second image is the standard desktop view. Would you mind replying with some additional screenshots showing the full screen of what you're looking at? When you say "logged in" do you mean logged in and using your theme editor or logged in as a customer to the website? 

That being said, customers will never see your back-end view. If my suspicions are correct, the second screenshots looks like the standard customer view while on a desktop. However, if the shipping time estimator is important and not showing up on the standard mobile view, that is something we should take a closer look at. 

I'll look forward to your reply! 

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Tourist
7 0 0

Hi Ren,

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I'm sorry I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

The first screenshot was taken when I was signed in to my website administrator account. Here are 2 screenshots showing the whole screen, top to bottom:

yw-loggedin-1.pngyw-loggedin-2.png

Just to be clear, those 2 screenshots are taken from one continuous window.

I also tried to checkout on my cell phone -- not logged in at all -- and I saw the "normal looking" checkout. Here's a screenshot:

Screenshot_20191116-134526.png

As far as the screenshot in question, the one-page screen without shipping estimates, that is the screen I see when I open a new tab in a browser where I'm signed in to my Shopify admin, on my desktop computer, and type in my website address, then proceed with the checkout process. This may or may not be interesting, but when I click on the "Checkout as guest" link at the very bottom, the checkout turns into the "normal" checkout process.

So as far as I can tell, I can only see this one-page checkout when I'm on my desktop computer and signed in to my admin account.

I hope this info is helpful and doesn't make this just more confusing!

Thank you,

Chloe

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
268 22 43

Hello, Chloe! 

No worries, your question was definitely clear but I wanted to gather the appropriate context. Thank you for the additional information as well as the screenshots. As it turns out, the screen you are viewing in the first screenshot is a newer feature called accelerated checkout, which you must have enabled in your admin at some point. It's for customers who opt to use Shopify Pay to complete their purchase. You can read more about how that works here.

The accelerated checkout is meant to be faster for customers who opted in and allows them to basically skip right to the order review page, this is why the shipping calculation isn't seen. This is also why clicking, "check out as guest" reverts back to the regular checkout. 

If you'd like to opt out, (or inform customers how to opt out) so you no longer see that particular checkout anymore, head on over to this link

I hope that helps clarify!

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Tourist
7 0 0

Hello,

Thank you for that clarification! That certainly makes sense to me. I do like the one-screen kind of approach. The only negative thing to me about it is, as I mentioned earlier, that this screen does not provide the estimated shipping time detail for any of the shipping options. It just provides the name of the service and the price. Is it possible to request an update to this screen that includes the shipping time estimate for each option? If that change could be made, I think it would be great.

Thank you,

Chloe

0 Likes