Why does Shopify only allow a single image per variant?

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 2

This seems absolutely ludicrous.  If a single product can have multiple images, then why can't a product variant?  

Let me guess...

The product images are stored in some type of ProductImage relationship table something like (product_id, image_id) so that a 1:n relationship can be represented between products and images; but unfortunately the same foresight was not used when implementing storage for variant images.  Instead of created a VariantImage relationship table something like (variant_id, image_id) which would also have allowed you to represent a 1:n relationship between variants and their images, the developer took a shortcut and created a field in the Variant table itself which limits it to only one image per variant.

This is a big limitation for the platform and one that should be relatively simple to change. 

Any chance this will ever happen?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
537 62 129

Hey, @jahodson3 

You are correct that currently within our native platform you can only add a single variant image per variant. If you'd like, I can pass this up as feedback to our development team for future implementation consideration.

However, there is a free variant images app that you can use in the meantime that will allow you to assign multiple images per variant option. The end result on your product page will look along the lines of this:

20-11-29buo-li8bo

I hope this helps! If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 2

Thanks Dirk.  I will check out the app though lots of the comments are not encouraging.  It would be great if this where part of the native Shopify platform.

0 Likes