add slideshow to a page

1 0 0

Hi, I'm trying to add a slideshow on a page other than the frontpage. I'm currently using the theme React.

Any help will be appreciated!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
166 0 25

Hey Anthony,

Phil from the Shopify Support team here.

You can actually use a Image Slider app from the Shopify app store to do this. These image slider apps generate some basic embed code that you copy and paste into your blog post, which will then display the slider on that blog post like you're looking for. They usually have a tutorial showing you how to embed the slider too. 

Below are a few applications that do this:

Those should do the trick!

Phil

0 Likes
2 0 24

Why are the answers always there "are a few applications that do this ..." and then we get a list of apps to try and buy?

With HTML input we should be able to add most things within the same system to anywhere else. 

Really guys - we can do better.

6 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
166 0 25

@MMATopSupplies

This thread is well over a year old and the information found in old threads can be outdated. I recommend reaching out to Shopify support for the most up to date information.

Anyways, this is very achievable without apps by using our sectioned themes. Please note, my explanation below is for Shopify built themes that use sections and have a slider. You can learn more about theme sections HERE.

1. In your admin, go to Online Store > Themes > Actions > and click 'Edit Code'

2. Under templates in the left side bar, click 'Add a new template'

3. A pop up will appear, choose 'page' and call it whatever you want. Here is an example of mine. I called it slideshow for easy referencing. 

4. A new file will appear. Add this small line of code below whereever you want the slide show to appear: 

{% section 'slideshow' %}

I wanted mine to appear underneath the title of the page and above the description. You can see what this looks like HERE.

5. Now go to the page (or create a page) where you want the slideshow to appear on and replace the template with the new one you've created. Click Online Store > Pages > Pick your page > on the right under template, pick the new template. In my case it is 'page.slideshow'. HERE is a screenshot of what this looks like

You can watch a quick video of the slideshow in action on my test site HERE. Hope this helps.

2 Likes
5 0 0

@MMATopsupplies THANK YOU FOR SAYING EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN THINKING FOR MONTHS NOW! I love having apps I can install for complex functions but simple ones like this do not require another app integrated with the countless other apps I have.

@Philip K - I tried this resolution and it did not work. I am using the Debut theme. 

0 Likes
2 0 1

The instructions to create a slideshow template page works, but it's very limiting because it only allows 4 images to be displayed. What we're looking for is a customizable page that allows us to input our own scripts so that way we have control on what our website should look like instead of having to constantly rely on basic plug-ins that charge extra. I want to be able to put as many images as I want on a slideshow or lay them all out in a gridview for customers to see, but all these resources redirect me to Shopify applications charging an extra $3.99 - $13.99 per month just to use basic layouts that're common on all websites.

1 Like
12 0 0

I'd love to be able to include a slideshow onto my template as well, but since it's not a theme created by shopify the instructions only half work. Is anyone able to help me with the theme Kingdom in creating a slideshow? There's a slideshow on the home page that is required, I tried to copy that section, but it won't actually load the image on the template page I created. 

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 5

@Philip K thanks for the detailed instructions. I tried them on the our Debut theme and couldn't get it to work though. I don't see the slideshow element, or any option to add images to it, after creating a page with the newly-created template. It might be helpful if you added a couple steps to your tutorial showing what we should see and what to do after creating a new page with the new slideshow-page template.

1 Like
1 0 0

I have done exactly written here, but he new template "page.slideshow" still isn't showing up

0 Likes
1 0 0
Hope all is, I thought this was very helpful . However, I was wondering how I would actually go about adding pictures to my slide since it’s on a new page instead of the homepage. Would I follow the same process I would do if I were to be adding pictures to a slide on my home page ?
0 Likes