how to make the product title shorter ?

1 0 0

hi , i am using an app which automaticly import all the items i need from my supplier , but the problem is the items title in my supplier website is too long and the app puplishe it in my store too long , and by looking at it , it makes you feel uncomfortable with the store !!

any idea how to make the titles shorter ? or make it as this style : example : product titl........ ''first to words and then dots....'' ?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
38 0 5

Hi Radwan,

Alex here, from the Shopify team. 

If you need to update all your product titles as once and you have more than 50 products, the most efficient way to accomplish this would be to export your products via CSV File, which would create a copy of your products' data into a spread sheet layout. Then you could edit your product titles in a program like Excel or Google Numbers, and then import your updated CSV File back into your Shopify Admin. 

Here are some CSV resources to help you get started: Exporting Products  and Importing Products.

Rewriting your product titles is still something you'd need to accomplish manually, but it's unlikely there is a program out there that can tackle this task without requiring you to go through and correct program errors after the fact.

Keep in mind that the way in which your titles are being cut off might depend on the theme you're using. If you're open to exploring other theme layouts, you can always check out the Theme Store for other options. But with this being said, if your product titles are exceptionally long, the best course of action is to shorten them for a better customer experience.  :)

Cheers!

Alex
Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hi Alex Roo,

I have about 8000 products and I followed your steps but once I upload there were 3 errors:

The title was missing even though it was there.

File Was too heavy, hight than 20mb (But that was what I extracted, shouldn't Shopify extract only what they can import again?)

What do you reckon should I do to fix that ?

Cheers

0 Likes
Excursionist
39 0 6

@Radwan

The easiest method is using CSS to hide content exceed the width of HTML element where product title is displayed.

Keep your customers informed with the best deals, sales events, announcements... https://apps.shopify.com/sticky-promo-bar
0 Likes
1 0 0

@Tien Do 

How can I do that? i also have the same problem. Can you give me the css code? 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
15 0 5

Can you give a link so I can see the issue?

0 Likes
1 0 0

please, can you explain me how to do this with CSS?

0 Likes