made to order items

Linda6
1 0 1

I sell handmade jewellery and as such usually have only one item of each product (or product variant) to sell. I don't want customers to see Sold Out for a product after someone else has bought it, so I usually set the inventory to 'Allow customers to purchase when out of stock', as I don't want a zero stock level to discourage customers from ordering. However I do want them to know that there is a 5-7 working day turnaround if they do wish to order.

I've searched all through the Help forums and documentation but nothing seems to fit the bill. I don't want to create a pre-order template because it's not a pre-order. What I want is for a message to pop up when a customer adds a zero stock product to their cart, which informs them that although the original item has been sold, it can be made to order with a standard 5-7 working day turnaround, and that they accept this before adding to cart.

How can I do this? I've tried adapting the 'telling them it's out of stock" tutorial but it doesn't work for my theme for some reason (Minimal) and won't produce the right result.

There must be many others selling handmade items like me, so if someone else has found a way to do this I'd very much appreciate knowing how they did!

Ren7
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
693 47 105

Hi Linda, 

JP here from the Shopify Guru team :) I believe the tutorial you are referencing is this one HERE. This is likely the best method for achieving what you need. I checked in with our Theme Department and confirmed it was a supported tutorial so it's definitely worth submitting a theme change request. Each plan comes with 1 hour of free design time to make theme changes to Shopify supported themes - like Minimal

Another option would be to utilize a custom product options App that will allow you to add a checkmark box and a message indicating the delayed processing time. This way a customer would be required to check the box indicating they understand there could be an additional waiting period for their order. 

If you'd like to move forward with a theme change request simply reach out to our live support to open a ticket. 

Let me know if I can clarify any of the above for you and please feel free to contact support at anytime - we are available through phones, email and live chat to help.

Cheers!
JP | Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

Ren | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

tarek-rahme
Excursionist
49 0 0

Hey @Linda6 

Check this out, think you'll find it useful 

https://apps.shopify.com/ready-pantry

0 Likes