same Shop with 2 languages

1 0 0

Hi,

I want to make a shop with 2 languages french / english in the same domain.

The best will be to have a menu with the choice between 2 languages and a autmatic switch according to geographical loaction.

thanks

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
32 6 13

Hello Nick123!

If you have set up the website in 2 languages, you don't even need a drop-down for the users to select their language. All you need is an IP geolocation service. It will detect your user's location and automatically show him the content in his language. 

It would be easier to understand if I explain it with an example:

I have a website. And I have a website in French specifically for my visitors from France. The URL for my hypothetical website is:

http://example.com

and the one for France is:

http://fr.example.com

If someone from France enters the URL of my site example.com, it makes a call to the service to get your visitor’s location. Next, I put an "if" block on the country name or one of ISO country code. I’m using the ISO2 country code.

I tried to attach the code required for it to make it clear but somehow it didn't work.

If you are having trouble understanding this, no worries. You can get in touch with me any time at zainab@ipgeolocation.io and I can explain to you in detail how this will work for you without causing you a headache.

Hope this helps. Cheers :)

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
236 28 41

Hey, @Nick123!

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thanks for reaching out here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out also today.

This is achieved by using an app, there is a range of options here in the Shopify App Store. These apps allow your customers to select their preferred currency from a drop-down, or the app can detect your location and automatically display the customers country's currency!  They can also continuously sync real-time rates for each of your configured currencies and shows the latest price to shoppers so they are a great addition to your store. The Bold Multi-Currency app is a very popular free app for this but you can try a few of them out and see what suits your business needs.

I hope that helps but if you need anything else, please don't hesitate to get in touch. 

Kind regards,

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
3 0 0

Hi Lulu, for some categories or generic content the translation apps just don´t do a great job an manual translation would avoid "funny" misleading translation bugs. How can I translate my shop manually and add a language drop down?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
236 28 41

Hi, @KoolKidKris.

Thank you for getting back to me. Yeah, I totally understand what you mean. You can certainly translate your theme manually by following this guide

All the best,
Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes