selling videos over shopify

2 0 0

I want to sell videos, my production, duration up to 10 sec. But, my current theme Minimal is not supporting video preview for the buyer to see before buy. 

Is shopify eligible to sell videos like shutterstock or videoblock etc.   where videos are having preview possibility for customers that they know what they are buying. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
438 18 48

Hey, @marijaradakovic!

Ava here from Shopify.

I've answered a similar post on this here if you would like to take a look. The workaround I mention there may not work for you, as it would be theme-dependant. Your theme needs to use javascript to check for the existence of an embed code in the alt tag of the images, so if your theme does not have this function, this workaround will not work for you.

If this workaround doesn't work for you, then I'd recommend a page-builder app instead. This will give you a lot of creative control over the way your pages are laid out! It will also allow you to add videos as variant thumbnails or add videos as sections on the page. Take a look at some of these options and let me know what you think!

If you'd rather not use an app, then you should be able to do this with the help of a developer! You can actually post a job on the Shopify Experts Page and see what feedback and quotes you get. You can find where and how to do this here.

I do think this is a good idea for the future though, I'm sure a lot of merchants would benefit from this function being added to a theme. I will submit this to our internal team to be reviewed as a possible future feature. As our platform is constantly growing and improving, our team love to get feedback from our merchants on what features/edits they need to improve their workflow. So once I submit this as a feature request on your behalf, our team can review the request. So hopefully, this can be something that is available in the future. There is never a guarantee that a request will get a Green Light, *or* make it to a product launch, but we really do appreciate you reaching out with your suggestion, as I’m sure you’re not the only merchant with this request.

While we would not have a specific timeline for how long that might take, you can definitely keep an eye on our announcements page. We will post any new updates or developments there.

Let me know what you think!

Ava

Social Care

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
2 0 0

Minimal theme is working with ALT solution over one app calling Easy Video, but that is not appropriate. Because if you want to sell videos over Shopify, you can`t make preview with Youtube or Vimeo, where people can go and download your videos for free. 

Before i paid for Shopify, i clearly asked can platform sell videos. Obviously, customer service didnt understand me or.. dont know what is the reason, but if you can not have video preview, you cant sell videos. 

I needed weeks to find out that Shopify doesnt have that option, so it cant sell videos. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
438 18 48

Hi, again @marijaradakovic 

The video options are quite limited outside of YouTube or Vimeo. However, you can upload videos to the Files section! You can then embed the video using the URL given in the Files section. There’s a 20mb limit for these uploads, would you be using large files? 

There is also the option to add a video to the Rich Text Editor in the product description, there is a guide on how to do that here

It is possible to sell videos via Shopify, you can sell digital products the same as physical products. Apps like Digital Downloads and SendOwl allow you to attach digital files to products, which are then emailed to the customer after the purchase. The preview of the file seems to be the issue here, which I can understand on your part! Would it be an option for you to create a small video clip/preview of the video files, then upload the preview to YouTube/Vimeo rather than the full video? Or perhaps if you were able to create previews with an app like Vizard

Let me know what you think!

Ava 

Social Care

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes