1000 Variant per day limit

Shopify Partner
9 0 17

Backstory (we sell POD clothing all printed in house so have a lot of variants)

About 6 weeks ago we were told that there was a new limit for uploading variants via API, 1000 variants a day when your store hits 50k variants. For us that is approximately two designs per day. We were told originally that this was only an API limit and that we should continue to upload via the CSV, so have been doing that no problem, until today when i tried to upload a file and it hit the limit after 5 products. 

Support chat are telling me this limit is now in force across all creation methods and that we have a choice of either upload less than 1000 a day, or upgrade to shopify plus at minimum of $3k a month. 

Has anyone else run into this problem? It seems that the help didn't even know it was a thing until i sent them screenshots of the error, seems like communication on this could be a lot better, the help pages don't mention a limit at all except on the developers API page

3 Likes
Excursionist
20 0 12

I'm having the same issue. I use a POD as well. I create shirts with 99 variants that with sizes and colors.

I'm only able to create 10 products a day. I created another shopify "Lite" account to go around the limit and it worked. I tried to import the products over 100 products today via CSV file today and the it gave me an api error after the 1000 variant limit now.

I'm seriously getting tired of this. This putting a real strain on a productive day.

I'm looking into other alternatives. They need to fix this before I find one.

2 Likes
2 0 1

Someone found a fix ATM?

I need sales for my ecommerce!

1 Like
Shopify Partner
9 0 17

Funny how on the website it still says "Unlimited products" under the pricing, no mention of the limits

5 Likes
Excursionist
20 0 12

They're really making it hard to progress with shopify.

2 Likes
2 0 7

We've just been hit with this upload limit. It's absolutely ridiculous and massively hampers the way we work with our clothing store.

It's just one thing after another with Shopify trying to push everyone on to the overpriced Plus platform.

We'll be looking in to alternatives to move our business elsewhere.

6 Likes
Excursionist
20 0 12
What really sucks is that a lot of these POD companies only integrate with shopify.

So the hard work you did to create mockups and products will be for nothing if you move to woocommerce or bigcommerce
2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 1 2

We are having the same issue. The API response we get says: 

{
	"errors":{
		"product":[
			"Daily variant creation limit reached. Please try again later. See https:\/\/help.shopify.com\/en\/api\/getting-started\/api-call-limit for more information about rate limits and how to avoid them."
		]
	}
}

Here is the link for ease: https://help.shopify.com/en/api/reference/rest-admin-api-rate-limits#resource-based-rate-limits 

1 Like
Excursionist
20 0 12
When I was getting errors creating products. I contacted support and they didn't know what was going on. So they sent emails to the developers with my screenshots to see their responses.

One finally got back with me and told me about the api call limit. I contacted support back and said they just implemented this in April but it was supposed to be for "third party apps" only.

So I started using CSV import and that got past the 1000 api call limit.

But now they just changed that which really is BS. You can email them to ask for api call increase but more than likely be denied.

Now I can't do nothing for 24 hours.
2 Likes
2 0 7

We started having csv import issues in January, it seemed a limit of 9000 varients (per file, not day) was in place after getting in touch with support. This new 1000 limit for 24 hrs is a joke.

1 Like