1st sale? How long?

Highlighted
Tourist
58 0 0

I've been online for 6 days and Ive had no sales. I've started google ads, Facebook ads, Bing Yahoo and Twitter. Figured I'd have something but nothing yet. How long did it take you to get your first sale? Excluding friends and family.

http://artzila.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

Congrats on your launch. It took us maybe a day or so but we also spent 2 months trying out different things and BUILDING AN EMAIL LIST! I'm not the creative person here but I was brought on to launch the product and stayed on.

Here's what you should do. Imagine that you hadn't yet launched your store. Register a simple Launchrock.co page. Go on Facebook and create a cheap FB ad. Your goal isn't to sell them anything but to have them sign up for your newsletter announcing when your store will launch to the public. This way people can anticipate your arrival (and you can test what they want and what they don't). Email those people a week or so later and see if any of them purchase.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME ON GOOGLE AD WORDS. I can not stress this enough. You will go broke quickly. Try reaching out to bloggers and influencers in your demographic.  Good luck.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hello Anna,

I would definitely agree with AC that especially at the beginning when you don't have much income coming in from your business, utilizing Google Ad Words can be very expensive, I have also seen it being very effective being used properly. A good way I feel would be through Search Engine Optimization. The simplest way of explaining it is that it creates key words on your website so that then your website will show up higher on the list when those words are searched. There are of course two ways of doing this, paying or getting someone else to do it for you or with a little technical know how you can do it yourself. Here is a link on how to use it specifically for Shopify, http://docs.shopify.com/manual/settings/general/search-engine-optimization, but there are many other articles online if you would like to see a different view on it. The good thing with this method is that you set it up once and as long as you pick out the right words then you shouldn't have to worry about it again. I hope this helps and I wish you luck with it, it is not really as intimidating as it sounds!

Good luck,

Brodie

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hey there Anna,

Paid advertisement can only really take you so far in the world of e-commerce. The real trick to getting the sales rolling is to give people a reason to visit your website or look at your pieces without necessarily looking to buy. If you can come up with a creative way to position yourself as an expert in painting or create entertaining content that people can follow along with you'll be much better positioned to start producing some sales. One way you could do this would be to create a YouTube channel and create videos of painting techniques. This, supplemented with a blog on your website could help to drive traffic and get people aware of what it is you're doing!

Utilizing social media is another great way of getting your art out there for "free". Facebook, Twitter and Instagram can all be used as a means to give yourself exposure and develop a fan base.

Shopify actually has an excellent article on 50 different ways to make that first sale. It's a very comprehensive article and I would highly suggest taking a look through it. I would pick a few things that you believe would be applicable to your business and start working on them! http://www.shopify.ca/blog/11415817-50-ways-to-make-your-first-sale

Love your work, you're very talented! Good luck with your business!

-Chris

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hey Anna,

Congrats on your store! I took a look and it looks great! great pieces as well!

As many people have mentioned above, keep up with the ads and maybe try sharing it with your friends on Facebook and get them to share with THEIR friends and so on. Try finding where your target market search for art and advertise there. This way you're advertising to the right people in the right place. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
105 0 2

Hi Anna,

Simply focus on enhancing your site and doing more tie ups with Artists and keep this site as a casual way to spend your time and an experiment. I say this because I want you to be positive.

Wait for few more days and instead of paid promotion, kindly write. Write a lot about yourself, your experiences and your art works. I see you have already tried your best - http://artzila.com/blogs/news?page=3

But did you think about using SEO friendly titles and content for your blog.

Example - Write about the product category you are in. Like how to buy good affordable Art and photo prints etc.

http://artzila.com/blogs/news/13970597-introducing-blake-horsley

Why introduce artists by name alone. Instead have a keyword title like " Name of artist plus description of their Art work"

Hope it helps.

I encourage freelancers, Entrepreneurs and people who are into eCommerce to use few minutes a day to enhance their skills by joining a new course, watching video tutorials and also creating an alternative career. You can apply knowledge you gain in Digital Marketing, Business Strategy, Accounting and Economics in your eCommerce effort.
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Anna, 

I just took a look at your website, you have some really beautiful pieces! 

Off the top of my head there are a few tools that could be useful for you.

I think you could benefit from increasing your Search Engine Optimization (SEO). This is a great article with some advice and suggestions for beginners that will help you improve your Shopify store's SEO. http://docs.shopify.com/manual/settings/general/search-engine-optimization

Also I took a look at your Twitter and Facebook and noticed that you mostly just post links to your site. Try engaging more with your customers/potential customers. Search out conversations happening about art and join in, for instance. It's a less direct, less "sales-y" way to get noticed. 

Email marketing is also a very valuable tool. How is your mailing list coming along? Connect with your customers by letting them know about new products, maybe do profiles on yourself and other people who work with you. 

One other suggestions - find some people who blog about art (preferably ones that have a good following) and offer to do some give-aways through their blogs. This will help you get the right people to your site. 

Hope this helps, and best wishes with your business! 

Pam

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Anna!

Congratulations on your new website, it is a great accomplishment! Have you considered using Google Analytics? It can give you a clear idea of why you are not converting your traffic into sales. It has been integrated with Google Adwords which will allow you to set conversion goals for your advertising.

You can read more on how to enable Google Analytics here:http://docs.shopify.com/manual/settings/general/google-analytics

Good luck, the store looks fantastic!

Cheers,

Tara-Lynn

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 2

Hi Anna,

Your site is awesome. I just started my site and was wondering (as I'm sure everyone does), how long it takes most people to make a first sale?? I realize it probably varies depending on many factors, but still looking for some gauge. I just debuted the site last Monday, but I see your site is still on since 2013. How have the sales been? When did they start picking up? Any tips after several years of being live?

0 Likes