1st store & humbly looking for brutally honest feedback!

Highlighted
9 0 0

Hi All,

I've noticed that many people benefitted from the constructive feedback from this community, so I'd love to hear from you all! 

I just started my first ecommerce site. I got some traffic (about 70 - 100 a day) through facebook ads but no conversion so far. First, what is the verdict on Facebook ads and its effectiveness? Second, hit me with things that I can improve for my website please! 

I would really appreciate it! Thank you 

0 Likes
Highlighted
17 0 0

Hi Evelyn,

Store looks great! A couple things I notice:

- The black menu bar seems to be justified to the left, which to me appears off. Have you played around with centering it? Maybe adding another couple buttoms? Just seems to have too much black space to the right. Same with the logo. The space to the right of the logo seems too big. I love the simple look, but sometimes it comes out as odd when the rest of the page has content throughout.

- Another thing that stands out is the big picture that scrolls, seems too big. Maybe it's because I have a small macbook screen, but it seems too big for the site.  Maybe if you move everything up close to the top, and make the picture fit the screen without having to scroll down to see the rest of it. So when someone lands on the page, they see the header, the menu bar, and the large picture. As of now, I see less than 50% of the picture when I land on the page.

- The fonts on the three picture buttons all seem different, both in font size, and font. The Geometic text is difficult to see. You want people to be able to read the buttons without quesiton, and just right to where they want to go.

- Your contact button on the bottom looks bad. I think you probably made it that way to not stand out in front of all the white space/pictures, but when it's over the black footer, it looks bad in my opinon. It may just be the white font/grey background.

- When you start looking at products in more detail, it gets very busy. You went with a simple look, you should keep it that way throughout. For example, this page: http://www.aglaiajewels.com/products/hexagon-necklace?variant=5188853187 just has so much on it. Lots of other products, and buttons. If they click on this for more details, they are most likely interested in this product. Let them look at this product without any other distractions.

Other than those I think the site looks great and very professional.

If you are interested in turning customers into repeat customers, you should check out our app ChainPerks! 

Good luck!

Mike

0 Likes
Highlighted
17 0 0

Hi Evelyn,

Store looks great! A couple things I notice:

- The black menu bar seems to be justified to the left, which to me appears off. Have you played around with centering it? Maybe adding another couple buttoms? Just seems to have too much black space to the right. Same with the logo. The space to the right of the logo seems too big. I love the simple look, but sometimes it comes out as odd when the rest of the page has content throughout.

- Another thing that stands out is the big picture that scrolls, seems too big. Maybe it's because I have a small macbook screen, but it seems too big for the site.  Maybe if you move everything up close to the top, and make the picture fit the screen without having to scroll down to see the rest of it. So when someone lands on the page, they see the header, the menu bar, and the large picture. As of now, I see less than 50% of the picture when I land on the page.

- The fonts on the three picture buttons all seem different, both in font size, and font. The Geometic text is difficult to see. You want people to be able to read the buttons without quesiton, and just right to where they want to go.

- Your contact button on the bottom looks bad. I think you probably made it that way to not stand out in front of all the white space/pictures, but when it's over the black footer, it looks bad in my opinon. It may just be the white font/grey background.

- When you start looking at products in more detail, it gets very busy. You went with a simple look, you should keep it that way throughout. For example, the product page has so much on it. Lots of other products, and buttons. If they click on this for more details, they are most likely interested in this product. Let them look at this product without any other distractions.

Other than those I think the site looks great and very professional.

If you are interested in turning customers into repeat customers, you should check out our app ChainPerks! 

Good luck!

Mike

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

Thank you so much for your input Mike! Really appreciate it, and I'll definitely check out ChainPerks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
105 0 4

WOW what a nice detailed reply from Mike.

I am actually on your  site now asking questions lol

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
29 0 12

Hi Evelyn!

Gorgeous product and photography!

Personally, I am not a huge fan of the "everything moving around on the page" design of items fading in and out all the time. It seems like the home page, in particular, has some pretty huge images that take a while to load. You might want to see if you could reduce the image sizes by a lot.

In addition, I know that email prompt pop-ups are effective at getting sign-ups, but I know everyone finds them annoying (especially on mobile, which is 50% of our customers -- not sure what your stats are). One way we more or less got around that was only putting the newsletter popup on our (popular, but not product-focused) blog pages. That way, if someone is in a conversion path, we have zero distractions getting them to checkout.

The "last chance" nav at the top has no items in it. I would remove any nav items that don't have product under them even if you add them later. (same with "sale")

I personally would take out the "need help" at the top. It adds a little visual clutter and if people want to contact you, they will look at the bottom of your site for a link (btw, I recommend using the contact page template that is likely in your theme rather than having people email you directly, just because it's easier).

I think none of these things are really hard, so you're 90% there!

Congratulations on your first store!

“Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity.” - John Muir
0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

Hi Danielle,

Thank you for taking the time to help me out! Truly appreciate all your comments and will be working on them :) I've check out your store as well, your witty soap names really made me chuckle heh love it!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
104 0 12

Hi Evelyn,

I would add a contacts us link to the footer menu, because I think that where people generally look for it and change the color on the contact tab as Mike recommended. I would definitly add a blog to the site, it will help your SEO if done properly. I would also make sure you add alt text tags to the product images and banners. Overall your site looks very nice. 

Hope this helps.

Kevin King

PinehurstWebsites.com 

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

Hi Kevin,

Yes I am working on the Contact Us page now as advised by you and Mike. SEO has been something that seems very daunting! But I will definintely give it a shot. Thank you for pointing that out!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
33 0 6

A lot better than some other stores i've seen on here.

I saw and then found the newsletter sign up to get my 15% off (maybe have an "anchor link" to the newsletter sign up box from the text on the header) but no email yet, this needs to be instant!

Your page titles can have 7-9 words in them, try using some more relevant terminology.

You could and should reduce the height of your header, it's pushing content down the page quite a bit.

Ah.. the emails just come through, prob more mailchimp's fault than yours!

Get your Tenpin Bowling Equipment from Tenpinshop :)
0 Likes