3D Maestro security - any other UK Shopify users out there?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
72 0 0

I posted this extra query on the main Shopify support site too, but to repeat here…

Do these changes only affect Maestro payments?

Presumably customers could still pay by Visa/Mastercard anyway? We’ve not launched our store yet (due to do so anytime now) so thought that if the worst came to the worst we would just have to accept Visa/Mastercard but not Maestro.

I’m just wondering how many sales we might use if this were the case??

Simon

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
85 0 2

If you read the information on the PayPal page posted above, it clearly states:

“Merchants wishing to accept Maestro after 1st Jan 2010 will need to implement the 3-D Secure process.”

So this doesn’t become a problem until the end of the year (giving Shopify a chance to react) and it will also not affect Visa/Mastercard payments.

Matthew

0 Likes
Highlighted
150 0 0

Matthew RBSi are saying Sept and Sage Pay UK are saying Sept. Did you see just a few days ago Google Checkout Dropped Maestro!! It’s a clear sign about what is about to come.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
107 0 3

This is a bit of a worry but surely over 4 months is enough time for shopify to implement 3d secure in the UK.

Would be good if shopify could officially put our minds at rest though.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
85 0 2

@AlexWyatt – Each bank and gateway will have arranged different deals with MasterCard (Maestro’s parent company). Sage is obviously September, PayPal is January and Google clearly can’t be bothered with supporting Maestro anymore.

@Beechy – I’ve contacted Shopify asking for an official announcement/stance. If it is negative then unfortunately we will have to implement our “plan B” as we can’t afford to lose all of our Maestro cusomters.

Matthew

0 Likes
Highlighted
150 0 0

Matthew that’s not just Sage Pay..;Thats RBSi saying this…One of the largest banks in the United Kingdom

0 Likes
Highlighted
150 0 0

Mathew some People don’t use PayPal, I dropped them after a technical issue froze my entire account for 6 months. So I agree January 1st is Okay for Paypal users but not everyone loves them.

0 Likes