Lorna_Cummins
20 0 0

Hi guys, 

I have a lot of 404 pages reporting in Google search from old products and I wanted to try to get rid of these pages. I've read that a 410 page is for deleted pages.  How do you create a 410 page in Shopify?

Lorna

0 Likes
Kriz
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
37 0 10

Hi Lorna,

I have a different suggestion! 

Rather than creating 410 pages, you can set up redirects for the 404 links so they land on similar pages of your site. We have an entire walkthrough for making URL redirects within your Navigation settings. Keep in mind, these only work if the link being redirected is 404ing. 

Transportr and Easy Redirects are some popular app choices for this as well.

Google will purge your dead URLs eventually over time, but creating redirects will eliminate any disruption and also preserve the link quality & ranking of them for SEO purposes. It also prevents you having to manually remove all the pages from Google's index while sparing your visitors from encountering an error page. :)

Kris 

0 Likes
Andy23
3 0 0

Hi,

Our business had a major pivot within 9 months launching. As such, approx 90% of our products were removed. 

It was not possible to redirect these pages at all, as there was nothing similar to them remaining on the website. What you need to do in this case is delete them and let them 404. Submit a new sitemap to Search Console and request for your site to be recrawled over the next few months. Don't mark any of the errors as "fixed", just ignore them and let them 404. 

Google will eventually stop indexing them. 

Andy

0 Likes
Adam_Jane
Excursionist
9 0 0

Thanks for your info, and for sure, redirecting helped me a lot on making more sales, IDK from which source they are landing to my shops, but redirecting for sure helps me get more conversions.

Best Drop Ship Provider Salehoo https://www.binmy.com/salehoo-review/
0 Likes
LucasDuxbury
1 0 0

Hey, guys just noticed that the question was not actually answered.  

How do we perform a 410? 

No, I do not need to 301 my page I need to 410 it.  Please let me know how to do it.  

0 Likes