A very bad BUG with the shipping method calculation in Shopify!

Tourist
11 0 3

Our store is set up for all orders of $75+ to get free shipping. All orders up to $74.99 are charged a $10 flat shipping fee.

Scenario is as following: 

1) Add a product to shopping cart needs to be cheaper than $75.00.

2) Go to check out and it should show you a $10.00 shipping charge, which is correct.

3) Remove that product from the shopping cart and go back to the store to add a different, more expensive product e.g. something in $699.99 range and go to check out. 

4) System skips the shipping method step alltogehter and goes directly to the payment method.

EXPECTED: The shipping amount should now be FREE. System shouldn't skip the shipping method step.

ACTUAL: Shipping persists and shows $10.00 shipping charge and jumps directly to payment method.

This also happens in reverse scenario:

1) Add a product to shopping cart needs to be more expensive than $75.00, e.g. $899.99.

2) Go to check out and it should show you a FREE shipping, which is correct.

3) Remove that product from the shopping cart and go back to the store to add a new product that's cheaper than $75.00, and go to check out. 

4) System skips the shipping method step alltogehter and goes directly to the payment method.

EXPECTED: The shipping amount should now be $10.00. System shouldn't skip the shipping method step.

ACTUAL: Shipping persists and shows FREE shipping and jumps directly to payment method.

This is a serious issue about what data persists between the shopping cart and check out and this should get addressed ASAP because it creates a problem for what the customer pays or should pay for the shipping.

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3991 13 316

Wow. That does sound like a bad bug. When a customer busts the shipping calculation cache by placing a different product in the cart, the checkout should respect that change, and totally re-calculate itself from scratch. I know that works when you change the address for example. 

This bug sounds serious. Did you report it to Shopify or are you leaving the report just here in the forums? 

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Tourist
11 0 3

Hi Bill,

No we haven't reported it to Shopify. What's the best route for reporting this to the dev team? We're still pretty new here. Thanks!

0 Likes
Explorer
265 0 21

When you get to the last stage of checkout and try to pay it should come up with a message saying that the cart has changed and shipping is no longer valid. Have you gone that far?

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
3991 13 316

That is clunky. Making the customer read? Can only lead to abandoned carts. Assuming they do read, what are they supposed to do? Hit a magic re-processing button? 

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
298 0 148

Hey there!

I ran through your scenarios the way you described them: the first in my regular window, the second in incognito mode.

In both cases I was only served the correct shipping amount at the end (so the Free shipping in scenario 1, the $10 shipping in scenario 2).

I'd recommend emailing support@shopify.com in cases like this, but you could email me directly at alex.missett@shopify.com instead. What would be super valuable is a screencast/video of this happening along with the web browser and OS you're using; we can definitely narrow down causes and isolate the issue that way.

Let me know if I can do anything else!

0 Likes
Tourist
11 0 3

Thanks Alex. I recorded a screencast with the bug repro and sent it to you via email.

0 Likes
Explorer
265 0 21

Bill, it puts them back to the shipping section when that happens.

0 Likes