ATTN All Shopify Stores - 2015 UPS/Fedex changes will drastically change your shipping charges and you may be losing money until Shopify updates are made

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
45 0 24

News if you haven't read about it is both UPS & Fedex raised rates which is common, but also implemented for 2015 is dimensional shipping calculated on ALL shipments.

So for products you use to pack in small boxes, that lets say weigh less than a pound, and box size is a 10x10x8... that would now make the box a 5lb shipment! So just like how international packages were, now ground is as well... Check your shipments you have shipped this month and you will see how much you have lost in income vs last months...

Shopify needs to address this immediately... today alone our companies lost hundreds in shipping alone due to these changes... Now even though the rates only went up 4.9% as well the dimensional sizes really throws shipping off... This loss will continue daily unless we go edit 1000's of skus to adjust all of their weights to cover ourselves... that being just a bandaid

Their new introduction of a default shipping box size was most likely their bandaid fix for the shippers API requirement for box sizes. This solves nothing and could cause more problems for shippers by sending the API an incorrect box size vs the actual box used for shipping.

What is needed to be done is what some other carts already have... product dimensions, shipping box sizes, and volume calculating shipping. 

If I sell widgets, and the widgets are 1in sq, then the cart should be smart enough to calculate how many widgets fit in a 12x12x12 shipping box size.. by volume to the provided box sizes... not multiply the shipping charge by number of qty ordered.

this should also support USPS flat rate box sizes and rates 

It should also cover for oversize items that may have a flat shipping rate or extra charges applied to them from shippers due to oversize, or heavy weight

Shipping should also consider insurance and should be an option to add insurance cost to the shipping on a defined range of cost of products...  you might have something in a small box but a very high insurance due to the contents.. this also is not addressed.

We shouldn't have to constantly guess and fudge every single product in our cart to get shipping values where we dont lose our ass in shipping charges... we should simply put in actual weights, actual product sizes per item and take that data upon checkout and calculate by volume number of boxes required from available boxes to determine multiple boxes, and to give us proper shipping charges.

No, 3rd party apps do not cover this and this is a core shopify problem that needs to be addressed immediately... every day that goes by every shopify store that uses UPS/FEDEX will be losing money on many packages

http://rates.ups.com/

UPS® Ground, Air and International rates will increase an average net 4.9%.

Dimensional weight pricing will apply to all UPS® Ground services and UPS® Standard to Canada packages. 

http://www.fedex.com/us/2015rates/other-changes.html

Effective Jan. 5, 2015

FedEx Ground Dimensional Weight
Effective Jan. 5, 2015, FedEx Ground will apply dimensional weight pricing to all shipments. Previously, FedEx Ground applied dimensional weight pricing only to packages measuring three cubic feet or greater.

9 Likes
Navigator
1151 0 115

Well said. We don't do much UPS/FedEx but I gather ShipStation can handle this for us.

http://www.StandoutDesigns.com ::: Solid Wood TV Furniture for Enthusiasts. Made in USA.
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
45 0 24

Third party shipping solutions can only process what they are given.. we use Shipworks and love it after trying a few others, but none and addressing this problem nor can they, it must be at cart level as every product must have dims, and the cart must be able to calculate volume and box sizes... otherwise all your normal small box shipments you will be losing money on.

0 Likes
Navigator
1151 0 115

ShipStation has it covered. Per this page, Shopify is not alone in not yet featuring this functionality.

See:

http://help.shipstation.com/customer/portal/articles/1813204-how-do-i-add-box-dimensions-to-shipstat...

http://www.StandoutDesigns.com ::: Solid Wood TV Furniture for Enthusiasts. Made in USA.
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
45 0 24

Yes, but unless that actually changes your price you charge the customer you still would need to currently fudge all the weights of every products your shipping weights will be off regardless if your shipping program supports dims. It may be doing that to simply give you correct shipping quotes... Since the customer is (in my example) paying for 1lb, yet you are getting charged for 5. 

0 Likes
Navigator
1151 0 115

Got it. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
45 0 24

Bump for something that needs addressing ASAP

1 Like
Trailblazer
650 0 69

Good luck.  They have basically blown me off when I contacted them.  They insist the editable "default box size" deals with "most" situations and when I pushed the issue they stop talking to me.

John Nanci www.ChocolateAlchemy.com The Art and Science of Homemade Chocolate
1 Like
Shopify Partner
45 0 24

That is TOTALLY untrue, if anything makes shipments worse... i bet 95% of their stores us more than one size box... setting a default size only got them out of hot water with the requirements for the shipping companies API requirements to provide a box size. You CANNOT use a default box size, ESP if its incorrect size for actual item shipped... guess what that does, yes, now you get an ADDITIONAL charge from the shipping companies on your bill for the improper sizes/weights and they charge you for that adjustment as well!

I have no problem contacting them daily, as should you all until this is resolved since every store not watching their bottom line is now losing money on small box sized shipments...

Please Shopify Dev's comment on this post with an ETA on a fix, or must I fly out to shopify, and kidnap your devs, and make them work in a warehouse for a week to see how much the system needs to be fixed... I'll do it..

1 Like
Shopify Partner
45 0 24

Bump

0 Likes