ATTN All Shopify Stores - 2015 UPS/Fedex changes will drastically change your shipping charges and you may be losing money until Shopify updates are made

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
46 0 26

Another week, how much will your business lose in shipping costs this week?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
620 0 70

Don't know.  I get nauseated looking at open wounds....The only saving grace is 95% has been USPS.

John Nanci www.ChocolateAlchemy.com The Art and Science of Homemade Chocolate
1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Don't know the answer but I'm also having trouble getting weights / FedEx charges be the same.  Glad to know it's just not me.  My problem:

1 box = 16 lbs, 2 boxes - 32 lbs, and on and on.  Thru support learned that FedEx treats the weight as one (1) huge box of said item.  FedEx doesn't know that a 200 lb order may consist of 13 SEPARATE boxes.   

Steve Ross: Is this the reason why Shopify users are losing money on freight?  Or, did I miss something else to be careful of.  Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
46 0 26

Correct,

thus if you sell large or heavy products shopify is not for you as well

I sell printing, and can only offer small low qty parts... I have one product that may ship lets say in 6 boxes @ 32.5lbs each,, yet shopify thinks its 195# in one box... thus will NOT even allow you to sell it..

Say you sell computers... customer wants a computer/monitor/printer... nope, that might think its in one box as well unless you sell separate it work work proper

Ive sent shopify solution to this few years back and they still have not worked on it, now we are feeling the neglect for it

1. They need to introduce box sizes..., then each product must specify a size, and specify multiple box sizes if needed

2. The system at checkout must calculate by volume how many products can fit in a given available shipping box size... if you sell small widgets that are only 2x2x2 size, and you use a 12x12x5 shipping box, it should know how many would fit in a box... without going over shipping companies maximum weight

This will solve the various problems we have now... quotes would be correct, and we would be able to offer many more products on our stores properly without having to inflate our weights to cover shipping fees only to have them be wrong for international etc

I just got off chat with shopify yet again asking for shopify to at least respond to this and give us a update of it being addressed as a major concern... meanwhile every day we still lose in shipping fees... how much have you lost so far?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
46 0 26

The main thing most vendors will notice in my experience is small boxes 3lbs and over shipping by ups/fedex... both have updated their ground shipping rules to now charge dimentionally... so small lightweight boxes you might ship which may only be a few pounds are now getting upped by typically 2-5+ lbs thus every package you are grossly undercharging for shipping costs due to these new rules from ups/fedex

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
96 0 11

Hi Steve Ross!

Sacha with Shopify here :)

Our Developers are aware of this change and it is on their radar to be reviewed and implemented. We do not have a timeframe as to when this will be ready for production, but we will can certainly keep you updated.

Chat soon!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
620 0 70

Classic Shopify non-answer.  And no admission they royally screwed up by not addressing this last year when they had notice.

Notice, it is only 'on their radar'.  Nothing that they are actually working on it.

John Nanci www.ChocolateAlchemy.com The Art and Science of Homemade Chocolate
4 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

Dimensional shipping is not a upcoming trend or desired method. It's now a required standard for both FedEx & UPS. Without defined product dimensions and multiple box size options, real-time in-cart shipping calculations simply don't work!

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi Sacha - We've been in touch with several of you guys up there in Ottawa, so you know we are also having trouble with shipping - and losing money. I do hope by now this serious problem is more than "on your radar" - it is a bit urgent (said with much understatement). You may have been caught flat-footed on this but your customers need Shopify to get in to high gear now to solve this. I'm guessing Shopify thought it was all about the "store" - so did we. But it seems now it's all about shipping! 

BTW - your default box (30' x 15" x 5") had a DIM of 14 lbs. Given that, as of Dec 29, 2014, when UPS kicked over into their new rating policy, every order under an actual weight of 14 lbs. should have returned a UPS shipping rate calibrated to 14 lbs. But even that small and partial fix has not been happening!!! 

I thought we'd get granular with our shipping habits using something like Shipworks, but if an outside shipping app won't alter the returned shipping rate on the actual Shopify order (and thereby authorize our customer's credit card with a correct dollar amount for shipping that we can then capture), no outside app will solve the problem. 

As of today, we've stupidly and arbitrarily raised weights on every product, but who knows how well that will work. We've discussed making an arbitrary flat charge (like $150) to each and every order, advising our customers that we will under-capture as actual shipping dictates. We're not going to do that since I envision abandoned orders from here to the horizon if we did!

In your court, guys. Please pony up. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
226 0 92

Thanks for everyone who has posted their concerns. We are actively researching this issue and working on enhancing the carrier pricing under certain conditions. I hope to have more to share in the coming days.

Louis : Product @ Shopify
0 Likes