Abandoned checkout emails going to junk

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 5

Hi there, is there any way to ensure that the abandoned checkout emails do not go to people junk or spam folders. I have seen other posts about this in the past where shopify official responders have said to use your own domain name instead of a hotmail or yahoo etc.

I have my own domain name with emails hosted with Microsoft.

My emails are coming from info@*mydomain*.com.au

I am using the default shopify text, subject and body text.

And they are still going to people junk folder.

Could this be the wording of the email, because i think technically IT IS SPAM so Microsoft and gmail filters are probably doing the right thing.

There must be a solution to this or at least a better response or advice from Shopify?

Has anyone had any luck with this? Because i get multiple abandoned carts a day and i would love to be able to turn some of those around but it makes it hard with the emails going to junk.

Thanks in advance community! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
648 41 96

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @MichaelB2222!

This is Ren from the Shopify support team here to help, thanks for the question! https://bit.ly/34FbBM5

Shopify uses what's called a Sender Policy Framework (SPF) to verify your customer email address. That's the one designated for automatic notification emails that your customers receive, like the abandoned cart recovery email. The purpose is to prevent these automated notification emails from being flagged as spam by removing the via Shopify note in sender information and displays your customer email address instead of no-reply@shopify.com in the sender field.

To verify your customer email address, you'll need to add Shopify's SPF record to your domain host using the following steps: 

1. Log in to your domain hosting account.

2. Find your domain's TXT record. This usually appears beside the CNAME record and MX record.

3. Add the following SPF record to your TXT record: v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com ~all

4. Save your changes.

That should do the trick! Let me know if I can help clarify any of those steps. I love that you are putting focus into this as abandoned carts are such an effective way to turn sales, especially when they're executed well. Check out this fantastic blog that details how to build an amazing abandoned cart email sequence. 

All the best,

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 5
Thank you very much! This is exactly what i needed. Great support and excellent response time.
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 5
Thank you very much this is exactly what i was looking for. Great response time as well!
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
648 41 96

Glad I was able to help, Michael! Don't hesitate to reach out at any time for a hand. 

Cheers,

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

HI Ren,

I was hoping you may also be able to help me. I am in the process of setting up my online store which is nearly completed. I am currently running test orders to make sure everything runs smoothly but at the moment any email sent from the store is going to junk folders. 

I can see you have outlined a step by step guide but being a complete technophobe I don't know what you mean by domain host? I have used GoDaddy for our website so do I need to make the changes there or in the Shopify settings?

Your help on this would be hugely appreciated (we go live on 1st June!)

Thanks 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
648 41 96

Hi @TFCS

Congratulations on your impending launch! I am so glad you reached out for a hand. 

That's exactly right, if you purchased your domain through GoDaddy, they would be your host. You'll want to login to your domain dashboard and make the adjustments there. I found a guide from GoDaddy that explains how to add an SPF record from their perspective. Check it out here.  You can also contact GoDaddy support to walk you through the process if need be though it looks fairly straight forward! 

Have you run into any other issues or questions as you're preparing to launch? In case you haven't seen it, we have an awesome pre-launch checklist to help make sure you are set up for success! Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you out. :) 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi there i am using klaviyo to send emails please if you could tell me doing this would have any effect on the emails that i will sent 

also does displaying it on checkout page to add us as contact still works. thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi there!

I'm still having trouble. I'm on the DNS settings page for my 'primary domain' but I can't see anywhere to add v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com ~all to my TXT Record. Can you please clarify these steps?

Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
648 41 96

Hi @Ceejy

Thanks for the questions! As Klaviyo is a third-party integration, I would recommend contacting their support directly for the most accurate assistance. You can find their support here.

As for your second question, can you clarify what you mean? A screenshot example would be helpful. Thank you!

0 Likes