Abandoned checkouts & Shopify/Stripe payment issues

Highlighted
Excursionist
51 0 4

Hi! 

So for some reason, even though my visitor count is ridiculously low at the moment because I've stopped advertising, I get a relatively high number of cart additions. A lot of these never reach checkout which I know is normal, but I also get loads of abandoned checkouts. 

I know some abandoned checkouts will arise because people don't want to pay shipping costs but I also get them frequently on orders that qualify for free shipping. 

Some, but not all, have "Unable to process a payment" in the payment history, and I also see this a lot on orders that eventually go through. Sometimes people try several different cards and PayPal several times until one of them works. So I'm wondering if there is a problem with Shopify checkout or if that's normal.

Another possibility I'm wondering about is if my website/business seems untrustworthy, but if that was the case I don't think many people would put in their address, email address, and phone number and then abandon it. 

So the main thing I'm concerned about at the moment is Shopify payment issues. Anyone else have this problem? 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
27 0 2

Hi Josie!

Leon here from the Shopify support team! Sorry to hear you're having some trouble here. I'd love to take a look at your account for you so that we can make sure that everything has been configured correctly and running properly. 

Because I'd need to have a look at your account, I'm sending you an email so that we can chat further about this in detail.

I hope you're having a great day!

Cheers,
Leon

0 Likes
Highlighted

I have it. On some sales I check, the client had to try 4x to have his/her card accepted. lI have lots of abandoned carts... terrible.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
945 46 136

Hey @Josie4 ,

To reduce the abandoned cart rate you should definitely start notifying your customers when they abandoned your cart. This can be done in many ways. You can send them an abandoned cart push notification or an abandoned cart email. This will reduce your cart abandonment. Not only this you can also start rewarding your customers with loyalty points when they come back to recover the abandoned cart.

You can target your customers by sending automated emails and can use triggers and workflows to automatically send messages to consumers after they take a specific action. For some reason unknown to you, they leave without making a purchase but with email automation, you can make sure that this user receives an email shortly after they abandoned their cart, reminding them of what they left behind and asking if they need help completing their purchase. In this case, email marketing automation turns a missed opportunity into an opportunity to build a stronger relationship and make a sale.

If you would like to implement all these functionalities on your store and reduce the abandoned cart rate. I would suggest you to install AiTrillion.com. It has all the features in a single app and is a fully integrated app. It is all in one Shopify app. Plus you don't need to install multiple apps. You can check it out. I am sure you will find it useful.

Sachin D | Shopify Growth Expert @ AiTrillion

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- 10+ Years of eCommerce experience.
- 1400+ Stores Designed on Shopify.
- 13+ Shopify Apps launched on app store.
- All in One Marketing App on Shopify AiTrillion Marketing Automation
0 Likes

We do send cart recovery emails. The problem here is the shopify payment not accepting transactions. Randomly.

0 Likes