Accidental Collected Taxes

New Member
1 0 0

What would be the steps taken in two transactions that had taxes accidentally collected in states my business is not registered in?

I collect taxes in CT, but have two transactions that had NY & MA taxes collected, respectfully on accident. I want to remedy the situation legally, but am unsure where to start. 

Please advise! Thank you.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
760 83 175

Hey, @oo1694 

Happy to help. You can start an order refund in order to refund the amount of tax that was accidentally charged to that customer. It's certainly possible to refund only parts of an order should you want or need to. Once you know the tax amount which you want to refund you can take the following steps to do so:

  1. From your Admin, head over to orders.
  2. Click the order that is to be refunded.
  3. In the Order Details section, click Refund.
  4. In the refund amount field, enter the amount in tax you would like to refund back.

I hope this helps! If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.


Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog