Add & Edit Birthday / Gender Fields in User Accounts for Marketing

David_Hart
Tourist
8 0 3

I would like to be able to Add & Edit  Birthday / Gender Fields in User Accounts for Marketing on the user accounts page. 

Does anyone know how this is done ?

Thanks 

David

www.pinnerandco.com

0 Likes
Benjamin_C
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
369 0 41

Hello David, Ben here - your Shopify Guru! 

You can capture additonal customer information on the customer signup form. We have a guide on how this works here:

https://docs.shopify.com/manual/configuration/store-customization/communicating-with-customers/accou...

From the admin you can always store additional customer information in metafields there is some tools that can let you edit these easily. If your not familiar with metafields I would recommend reviewing our documentation here:

https://docs.shopify.com/themes/liquid-documentation/objects/metafield

I hope this points you in the right direction. 
Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions :)

Cheers,
Ben C - Shopify Guru
Support@Shopify.com

0 Likes
David_Hart
Tourist
8 0 3

Thanks Ben, 

The issuse is this I believe you really want to bother the user as little as possible durning the sign up process 

For example / Sign up 

- Email & Password fields nice and quick 

The once they are signed up and log in they can fill in / create their profile 

- First Name / Second Name / Birthday / Gender etc 

Also these fields the user should be able to edit 

Thanks 

David 

0 Likes
michael-helium
Shopify Expert
192 1 108

Did anyone else stumble on this old thread like I did after searching for "add birthday to registration Shopify"?

The problem with Shopify's tutorial for adding fields is the info is stored in the Customer Note and it's difficult to view, manage, or use that data in any scalable way. In the Customer Fields app, we've built a drag-and-drop form builder so you can easily add new fields (birthday, gender, etc.) to your registration form.

To speak to @David_Hart's specific request for a user experience with less friction-- Customer Fields can help with that as well. Shopify doesn't natively support allowing your customers to edit their own information, but the Customer Fields app allows you to create an 'edit account' page where only logged-in customers have access to.

To achieve David's desired flow, you would simply create a different form only accessible to logged-in customers. The registration page would remain quite simple-- name, email, phone, password. Then, on the edit account page, you can ask your customer for more information.

You could technically install this new form anywhere on your site, but be sure to use the app's form rules to make sure the form is only visible to logged-in customers. For more information, check out our guide on how to hide a form from guest users.

Michael | Business Development @ Helium
Helium builds apps that merchants depend on:
- Customer Fields
- Meteor Mega Menu
0 Likes
KristenDScott
Tourist
7 0 14

Michael,

As much as I'd like to "add the app", it's another thing to pay for that should have already been added to the basic Shopify setup. If I paid your fee, I would be spending minimum $144 per year, on top of all the other little apps here and there, JUST for the opportunity to collect customer birthday information. Shopify needs to have taken care of this a long time ago. I'd rather pay someone one time to fix it for me, rather than hundreds of dollars over the years. I am all for compensating someone for their work, but not until I am bled dry.

michael-helium
Shopify Expert
192 1 108

@KristenDScott 

I completely understand, and shops should be very picky and cost-conscious, especially in the early days if you're just getting started.

However, "one-time fixes" are almost never that in the world of web development. Code requires maintenance. Things change and sometimes break over time. And on this specific topic (storing unique customer data such as a birthday field) you'll find the type of one-time solution you're looking for isn't even possible. The primary problem is not collecting a customer's birthday, it's storing it, and storing it in such a way where you might actually be able to use it for something.

Here's a great forum post (not written by me) that explains why an app (public or private) is required for this type of work. Here's the short explanation:

you'd need to create metafields on the customer object... which can only be done using the Shopify Admin API which cannot be used from a store and must be used via an app i.e. you would need to develop, host and maintain one. That would take care of storing the data when a customer submits said form.

So yes, Customer Fields is one solution to easily collect, store, and integrate unique customer information such as a customer's birthdate. As of this writing, that would cost $26/mo or $312/yr as the "Pro" plan is required for adding custom fields. 

If you have the time to do things more manually to save cost in the early stages of your store you can always take things off Shopify as the post I linked above mentioned:

Last but not least, you could leave out Shopify ecosystem entirely and use something like Google Forms or Airtable or Firebase

Michael | Business Development @ Helium
Helium builds apps that merchants depend on:
- Customer Fields
- Meteor Mega Menu
0 Likes
Mahir_Iskender
Tourist
5 0 3

And as soon as shopify clients write questions all app developers start advertising. and no news from Shopify. I am super frustrated about how they handle their client requests. Most basic features missing. My bill is now more than $1000 a month for shopify subscriptions and all small apps that I installed because Shopify didn't care to provide those features.