Add Second Customer Email Address

tesstesting
Explorer
97 0 7

Hi,

I need to add a customer registration field for a second customer email address. I need "email address 2" to have all same validation and rules as "email 1". How do I create this field so that customers can enter info into it, and I can store it? Thank you.

Replies 14 (14)

Dallas
Shopify Staff (Retired)
916 61 211

Hey, there.

This is Dallas from the Shopify Social Care Team. I read over your request, but I'm just going to ask for a bit more clarification before I dive into your request.

Are you looking to have two separate sections for two separate emails, are you looking to just get the customer to verify the one email that they put in, or are you looking for something else entirely?

I am also wondering where you're looking to have this feature? Is this for the checkout or another area of your website?

If I am completely misunderstanding what you're looking for please let me know. I look forward to speaking with you further about this! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

mitchell5848
Excursionist
36 2 3

Yes Yes Yes, I have wondered about adding data options for login system. I didn't want to entirely create a node js server just for a login system. but is there a way to make more fields and be able to send data to your own sql server? 

tesstesting
Explorer
97 0 7

@Dallas 

Thanks for your reply, I've decided to go another route for this problem, attempting to use metafields to meet my needs. But there I encounter another set of issues 😉

Dallas
Shopify Staff (Retired)
916 61 211

@mitchell5848 

You're right. Since the checkout code is locked there isn't a way for the code to be adjusted at all. It is locked for merchants and it is even locked for me as well for the security of both you and your store and your customers. For that reason, I wouldn't be able to add this in for you. Is there a particular reason that you're looking for this feature? I can't guarantee that there is something, but I can try and find a workaround for you. 

@tesstesting 

Sounds great! If you have any other questions at all please don't hesitate to ask me! 

mitchell5848
Excursionist
36 2 3

Yes I like to use custom code to manage certain feautres of my apps and websites. and to be able to hash out the user data. from the backend knowing that the data is safe. 

@Dallas wrote:

@mitchell5848 

You're right. Since the checkout code is locked there isn't a way for the code to be adjusted at all. It is locked for merchants and it is even locked for me as well for the security of both you and your store and your customers. For that reason, I wouldn't be able to add this in for you. Is there a particular reason that you're looking for this feature? I can't guarantee that there is something, but I can try and find a workaround for you. 

@tesstesting 

Sounds great! If you have any other questions at all please don't hesitate to ask me! 

@Dallas wrote:

@mitchell5848 

@tesstesting 

Dallas
Shopify Staff (Retired)
916 61 211

I see! Thank you for sharing. 

Custom code is certainly able to be added to your website, it just won't be able to be added to your checkout code. That is the only section that is locked for employees and merchants. The only way for that part to be unlocked is on the plus plan. 

mitchell5848
Excursionist
36 2 3

And if you are going to add a custom field for email validation. you need regex im assuming shopify team dont provide you with a functional email validation? 

michael-helium
Shopify Expert
361 5 178

This is possible through third-party apps such as Customer Fields. You can easily add a second email address field to your form (such as a spouse or child's email address) and you can also validate using regex, although that shouldn't be necessary because email address fields are already validated in the app. At least it is in Customer Fields, cannot speak to other apps.

Michael, COO @ Helium
- Customer Fields ✪✪✪✪✪ (346 reviews)
- Meteor Mega Menu ✪✪✪✪✪ (265 reviews)
MEMH1966
Tourist
8 0 6

Hi Michael

I am looking for a solution to add a custom field (Tax ID)  to the cart. Since the contents of this field could vary from order to order, a field at customer level doesn't look to be the proper solution. Does helium have any solution that allows only adding and validating fields at cart level. Since we dont have shopify plus, checkout form field is not a solution

Thanks

Manuel

michael-helium
Shopify Expert
361 5 178

Hi @MEMH1966,

First of all, it seems to me that Tax ID is completely relevant to an individual customer... why would a customer be using different tax IDs for different orders? 🤔 

Adding a field to the cart is relatively simple, but validating it is much more complex and we don't have a pre-packaged solution for that. It also depends on what you mean by validation...

• Are you trying to make the field required on the cart page (ie: prevent checkout until the field is complete)
  • Are you trying to validate the Tax ID syntax (this is possible with regex in the app)
  • Are you trying to validate against a database of valid Tax IDs?
Michael, COO @ Helium
- Customer Fields ✪✪✪✪✪ (346 reviews)
- Meteor Mega Menu ✪✪✪✪✪ (265 reviews)
Michael_Chandle
Visitor
2 0 6

Hello,

My customer wants to receive order confirmation (and all customer notification emails) to two different email addresses. Is there a way to do this? 

cousrey
Tourist
4 0 1

I need this as well to allow for drop shipping. 

mv5
Excursionist
20 2 2

ever find a solution?

ravichoudharysb
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

Hello @Michael_Chandle 
I was also looking similar feature, and I found this app https://apps.shopify.com/multiple-email-recipients

and I hope this will be helpful for you too.

Thanks

Team Startbit