Add a variation without impacting the stock

Solved
TheFrenchWitch
Excursionist
12 0 0

Hi everybody !

Even with a lot of research, I didn't found a solution to my issue, so I hope you can help me :)

I am creating my shop and I want to add a variation, but without impacting my existing stock :
I sell earrings. I want my customers to have the possibility to choose the closure (hooks or studs). I have plenty of closures, but a limited stock of earrings. Some are one of a kind. On Etsy I just change the closure after selling regarding to what my customer chose.  If I add the variation in Shopify, I will have one of each (hooks and studs), but in reality I just have one pair of earrings. If I let it that way, I may be in trouble if two customers buy pairs if only one is in reality in my stock.

What can I do ? Can I add a variation without impact on the whole stock ? Or should I ask the customer to write a message to me to ask for a different closure ?

Thank you for your help !

0 Likes
Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 58 139

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @TheFrenchWitch!

I'm Lizzy, one of the Gurus on the support team at Shopify.

While you wouldn't be able to create a new variant without giving it any stock, there are a few options for getting the set up that you're looking for!

First of all, you could split the inventory of your earrings in half. Using variants you can set up half of the stock to be available with one type of closure and half with the other. As you sell you can update the stock of one or the other to cover the sold earrings.

Another option would be to use a third party app to give your customers more options on the product page. I've listed a few below that will enable you to add checkboxes or radio buttons onto a product page without adding or affecting variants.

Infinite Product Options 
Product Options and Customizer 
Infinite Options 
Bold Product Options 

You could also enable cart notes. This will appear as a text box on the cart page, anything customers write in here will appear on your order page under "Customer notes". You can request in the product description that your customers specify the type of closure they'd like on the cart page.  This page from our help center explains how to enable cart notes. 

A similar option to the above is enabling notes directly on the product page. This page has the instructions to set that up! This does require some adjustment to your theme code. Before making any changes to the theme code I always like to suggest duplicating your theme. You can do this by going to Online Store>Actions>Duplicate. Just in case.

It sounds like you've already been selling your products on Etsy, that's fantastic! Are you planning on using Shopify and Etsy together to build up your sales? Or do you have any other marketing ideas in the works?

Thank you,
Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

TheFrenchWitch
Excursionist
12 0 0

Thank you so much Lizzy !
As a new one on Shopify, I didn't instal any app but seems to be the best solution and the app you showed me have so good ratings. This really helps me a lot \o/

0 Likes
Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 58 139

This is an accepted solution.

You're very welcome, I'm glad to have helped!

As you're new to Shopify, I also wanted to take a second to welcome you to the platform! How have you been finding the set up of your store so far?

Lizzy

TheFrenchWitch
Excursionist
12 0 0

Hi !
I had an hard time setting up my shop but now I am really proud of it. I try to make it perfect and SEO takes time.
By the way I chose Custom products option to solve my personalization issue and I am happy with it (mostly because it's free ^^)

I am just angry I was refused by instagram (I created my shopify to link it to my instagram) but I know what instagram really need to work on that issue, and on their customer service.

Thanks again Lizzy :)

0 Likes
Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 58 139

Ah that's great, thank you for letting me know that the app worked out! 

I'm really glad to hear you've been able to build a store that you're proud of! I agree, setting up a new business can be a lot of work, but it's definitely worth it when you can look back at what you've accomplished. You're right that SEO can take time to build up, there are a few things you can do to help make sure it grows well though. I wanted to share a video series from the Shopify Academy with you, as I think you may find some of the advice in there useful!

SEO Training for Beginners- Shopify Academy

I'm also sorry to hear that you weren't able to get your Instagram integration set up. I do know that you can "Report a Problem" within the app, which will occasionally cause Instagram to take a second look. While, you're right, it is up them to decide who is allow to sell on their platform it's worth a try, in case it helps!

Thank you.

Lizzy

0 Likes
jmstrick
Tourist
10 0 3

I'm trying to do the same thing on my Shopify store.  Which app did you use and how did you like it?

0 Likes