Add and remove customers from a customer group

3 0 0

I would like to be able to add and remove customers from a customer group so that only customers in the group have the ability to use specific coupon codes. Since coupon codes can be tied to customer groups, but not to tags, customers can be tagged, but not added or removed from a customer group, I'm at a bit of a loss. The only way to create or manage a customer group appears to be by performing a search in Customers. Then you can create a new group, which doesn't solve the problem, or you can overwrite an existing group, but that then deletes all the customers who were previously in the group. That's a problem if they haven't used their coupon code yet.  Are there any workarounds outside of apps for purchase?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
157 19 29

Hi, @jrw74!

Sophia here from Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community!

Customer groups update automatically, so if you edit or delete a customer, they will be either added to or excluded from a customer group (and the discount it’s assigned to) based on the search terms for the group. If you’re using tags to organize your customers, you can filter the customer list by tags and save that search to create a customer group.

Can you tell me a bit more about the customer group you need to create for the discount and what types of updates might need to be made over time? Once I have more details, I might be able to suggest a more specific solution for you. Some of the apps for discounts, for example, allow you to create specific customer groups by tags.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

I want to be able to add customers to an existing group without removing customers that are already in that group. Managing with tags and searches will not work.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
157 19 29

Thanks for your reply, @jrw74With the current process for creating customer groups, adding new customers shouldn't remove old ones so long as they all meet the same search criteria. Can you tell me more about the criteria for the customer group you need to create? If so, I'd be happy to pass feedback along to the appropriate teams here if I can't find a solution for you.

0 Likes
3 0 0

Thanks, but I don’t want to search for specific criteria. Basically, I want customer service to be able to give specific customers a non-unique discount code for giving out accommodation credits (like a 5% discount on their next purchase). I want to be able to select a customer and add them to a Customer Group without having to tag them or search. By doing it the way I’m suggesting, the discount code can safely be good for one time use for each customer without the risk of someone just posting the coupon to Slick Deals for anyone and everyone to use.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
157 19 29

Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying. 

Your customer service team can manually add customers by email directly to the discount code itself under Customer eligibility > specific customers. They can then select Limit to one per customer under Usage limits. These settings ensure that only the customers with the specified email addresses can use the discount code, and they'll each only be able to use it once:

22-58-3iy62-zkndq

Adding customers manually on the discount code page also ensures that previously added customers won't be removed when new ones are added. If you have a larger group of customers to send the discount to and don't want to add each individually, one of the apps for discount codes will likely be your best bet for creating a customer group. Let me know if this helps!

0 Likes