Adding A Handling Charge

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello, 

When creating a new product, there are times when I want to add a shipping surcharge.   I do not want this up-charge across all products, rather I want to be able to manually enter it when I create a product (which may have multiple variants).  All variants within the product will have the same surcharge. How can I do this?  I do not just want to add it in to the item cost, I want it to show as a separate charge at checkout. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
164 16 31

Hi, @IronPony!

Julie, here from Shopify Support. 

Adding a shipping surcharge to specific products can be done in a few different ways, depending on how your shipping rates are currently set up. The simplest way to add a handling charge to your products is by adding a fixed amount to your product prices, which you can do using the Bulk Editor, a tool that allows you to edit multiple products at once. I understand that this isn't the solution you're looking for, so there are a couple of other options I recommend considering.

Are you using calculated rates or manual rates? If you are using calculated rates, then there's actually an option to add a rate adjustment when editing Calculated rates within your shipping zones. Adding a rate adjustment will allow you to either add a fixed amount of a fixed percentage to your calculated rates. This is an excellent way to account for packaging and handling costs or to help your customers save money. However, the customer will simply see this as one shipping rate and will not be made aware that there is an added surcharge. You can always add a message on the cart page indicating to the customer that there is a surcharge, but there is no way to break it down within the checkout.

If you're using manual rates (price-based or weight-based), then you can add a fixed amount to those rates by simply adjusting the rate amount. Again, this would not break it down for the customer in the checkout; they will only see one rate. However, this may be a good thing, as customers may not be particularly fond of having to pay a surcharge. In fact, adding a separate charge at checkout could potentially increase your abandoned carts.

Alternatively, you could use an app like Order & Product Fees to incorporate the shipping surcharge. This app lets you create any nature of additional fees and surcharges and add them to a specific product offering. With this app, the customer will see a separate charge in the checkout, which will appear alongside the products they are purchasing; it won't be a charge that gets added in the shipping or taxes section. On their app page, you'll notice an option to view an example store, so you can get a feel of how the app works from a customer's perspective. The app developers also offer support for this particular app, so if you ever need a hand with it, or if you just have questions about the app's functionality in general, you can always reach out to them directly, from the Support section on their app page. 

Because you're looking to have the surcharge shown in the checkout, it sounds like the Order & Product Fees app best suits your needs. Feel free to install and see how you like it. I'm curious to know if it's something that will work for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes