Adding Captcha Protection on your Shopify Blog

3 0 0

Hi there!

I started blogging this summer of 2019 and I got some comments here and there, but the spam-bots also did find me and spammed allot of messages under my blogs. It's very annoying because then they are also added as a customer and I have to delete them.

So,.. I was searching for a solution for this, something like Captcha to add. And I found this one from 6 years ago:

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Adding-Basic-Captcha-Protection-on-your-Shopify-B...

I did enter the code, and it works. As you can see here: https://lianneh.nl/blogs/mijn-verhalen/wat-is-procreate

It seems to work well but the math-question doesn't show up. So there for you never know the answer to fill in. Haha.

Is there anyone who knows what I need to do? I did exactly as told in the thread linked above. I put the first code on the first line of the article.liquid and the seconde line of code I put it right above the 'submit' button.

My page is in Dutch though, so things look a little bit different maybe. But it is working well except for the math question. If anyone knows a solution (or another one would also be very welcome! as long as I don't have to install another paid app)

Thanks in Advance!

Screenshots to help you clarify my story, this is my code sheet from article.liquid :

Screenshot 2019-11-15 at 16.08.47.pngFirst line of codeScreenshot 2019-11-15 at 16.08.56.pngSeconde line of code

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
72 7 12

Hey, @Liannehnl! Thanks for reaching out today.

Since I am not formally trained in code, I wouldn't be able to assist you in troubleshooting exactly why the third-party code may not be working as intended. With that said, you do have control over approving comments before they get published onto your blog. I have put together a screenshot here that illustrates where you can find that setting in your Shopify admin. It's certainly an effective way of filtering out comments you see as unfit for the blog posts.

You could also look into hiring a Shopify Expert Developer to code this sort of functionality into the store. There is even a blog commenting app called DISQUS that is worth looking into!

Let me know if that helps! 

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi there Dirk!

(Sounds like a dutch name by the way - haha) Thank you for your fast reply and comment. 

I do know I can manage the comments and that is indeed not the biggest problem. But the problem is that those spam-bots will get added as an 'customer' within my Shopify so that's just messy and chaotic within my customer tab to see all those spam accounts. There I would like to get rid of it all ofcourse.

I'm curious, the app you mention - will people be able to comment with their facebook account? It looks like it but I'm not sure. If that's the case maybe it is worth looking into it for me.

0 Likes
3 0 0

I'd suggest checking out this thread and adding this simple fix, this lets you work around adding another third party app. I'm not sure why shopify just doesn't integrate this kind of stuff into their platform to enhance everyone's experience. 

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Adding-Basic-Captcha-Protection-on-your-Shopify-B...

0 Likes
3 0 0

I did check that out and added it to my code but it doesn't work properly. As I said in my message. ;)

0 Likes