Adding a checkbox to checkout t0 agree to terms of business

Planthaya
Tourist
7 0 5

Hi 

Part of an agreement with a possible Merchant is that we have to have  a checkbox at checkout to agree to our terms of business that is mandatory to add an extra level of security for charge backs on the site .

Could any one point me in the right direction for adding this please ?

thanks 

0 Likes
shopify-dev-05
Explorer
66 5 7

Hello Planthaya,

Shopify by default don't allow to add or customize checkout page in shopify Basic plans. This is only allowed to do in shopify plus plans.

If you want to add any checkbox then add it on cart page and put the checkout button on conditional basis if the checkbox is clicked then only the checkout button get enabled or else it will be disabled.

-Want to customize or make changes to a theme? Hire me.
-If my reply was helpful, Click Like to let me know!
- If your question was answered, Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
0 Likes
Lulu
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
908 87 188

Hey, @Planthaya!

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thanks for reaching out here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Yes, the previous post is correct, there is no way to edit the checkout code to add anything. The primary reasons behind not being able to edit the checkout CSS are around security, responsiveness, and maintaining PCI compliance. If we had customized checkouts, any updates or improvements that we wanted to make would have to be made on a store-by-store basis. As you can imagine, this would take a very long time! It would also make the customer suffer if the checkout was then glitchy/not updated correctly. We still allow you to customize your checkout style (as noted in this guide), such as changing the colours and adding a banner to the top of the checkout page. However, ultimately these systems are in place with the primary focus of making our platform more secure for you and your customers. We hope you understand that it’s with your best interest at heart.

You can add an 'I agree with the terms and conditions' checkbox to your cart page that customers must check before continuing to the checkout. If a customer doesn't check the checkbox before clicking the checkout button, an alert pop up will prevent them from continuing. We have a guide on this in our help centre here. This is an advanced tutorial, which means it would be unsupported by our Theme Support team. They would not be able to assist here I'm afraid, as it is outside the scope of the support they can offer. However, you should be able to do this with the help of the guide, but if not, then you can consider hiring a Shopify Expert! You can actually post a job on the Shopify Experts Page and see what feedback and quotes you get. You can find where and how to do this here.

I hope this helps but please let me know if you have any further questions, I am always happy to help.

Kind regards,

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

Planthaya
Tourist
7 0 5
Thank you so much
0 Likes
Planthaya
Tourist
7 0 5
Thanks for clearing that up for me , much appreciated
0 Likes
zupper
1 0 7

Clearly this is an implicit feature request.

The features for the checkout flow should allow a shop owner/editor to:

1. Enable a "agree to terms" checkbox that will:
    1. be shown to customers
    2. require being checked before checkout may proceed
  2. ability to change the text that is displayed.  For example "Accept Terms & Conditions"
  3. Allow the text to link to a page or popup that displays the Ts&Cs.
  4. Optionally Support a setting that requires the user has "viewed" the Ts&Cs in some sense.

Basically, it's a needed feature and I'm surprised to find that Shopify lacks this.

Planthaya
Tourist
7 0 5
Yes , we couldn’t get a payment processor for our account without this
feature , they said it’s standard procedure so I assumed that it would be a
feature already available
kpereira
1 0 1

Hello, 

Sorry to comeback to this old post but I would like to confirm if it is impossible for advanced shopify users to edit the shopify checkout page ? I would prefer to put a checkbox on the review order page instead of the cart one. 

Many thanks, 

Kevin 

LUISCOBBLER
1 0 1

You should also add the possibility to show/ no show the check-box to certain countries.
In my case I need the customer to accept terms, as I need him to agree that he will be responsible for duties and taxes specific for his countries.

minahbe
1 0 0

I have this terms and conditions checkbox on my page and want to remove it, could someone assist? 

0 Likes