Adding an extra to a one off product.

2 0 0
I run a gallery and picture framing business with many of the paintings sold on consignment on behalf of the artists. This means that we don't actually own the paintings and charge the artist commission when the painting sells. This means the paintings do not have VAT on them. As we are also picture framers we want to offer the option for customers to buy unframed or framed. I can't work out a way to offer this as using a variant doesn't work because it then shows as the painting being in stock twice (once unframed and once framed). Is there a way of adding the picture frame as an extra option on the product page without it being a variant. Also the frames are subject to VAT as we own them so it needs to be a separate product code with its own tax rate.
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
193 17 40

Hi, @Atishoo!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

Giving your customers the option to have their paintings framed or unframed is a great idea. However, I completely see the inventory problem when it comes to adding the framed option as a variant. It’s also not possible to assign variants their own tax rates, so you’re on the right track here - the frame will need to be added as a separate product altogether. 

Once you create a separate product solely for the frame itself, then you can apply a tax rate to it. If you haven’t already configured your tax settings, I recommend checking out our help doc on general tax set-up steps to get started. 

Within your tax settings, you can then create a tax override to control how much tax you charge for a particular product. Tax overrides will also allow you to handle exceptions and exemptions. We also have a help doc on how to create tax overrides and exemptions I think you’ll find pretty useful. This will help you to ensure that only certain products, like your frames, will have VAT applied.

Now, to add the frame product to the product pages for your paintings, I recommend using an app like Product Addons or Upsell Product Add-Ons, both of which will allow you to display a separate product as an add-on on an existing product page. These apps have great reviews and the developers also offer full support, so if you ever need a hand, you can always reach out to them via the Support section of their app pages. 

Aside from using an app, you can always add the frame to your product page using custom code, but this is something you may want to get in touch with one of our Shopify Experts for assistance with if you aren’t too comfortable with code.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi! 

Along the same lines, if I'm looking to sell artwork within Canada, the tax rate is the same for both framed or unframed. Pls advise is there another option to use if taxes are the same instead of requiring frame as a secondary item?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
193 17 40

Hi, @Glo_art!

In your case, I suggest simply adding the framed and unframed options as variants, as opposed to adding the frames as separate products. This will ensure that the same tax rates are applied and that the customer isn't paying double in taxes when purchasing a framed piece. If you are wanting each variant to have the same tax rate, instead of being based on the price (which would likely be different for the framed or unframed options), then you can create a tax override to apply a specific tax rate.

Let me know if this helps! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes