Adding fees to cart based on shipping location

Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Hello! 

I'm trying to set up my store so that whenever a product is in the cart and the shipping state is AZ at checkout that I need a specific fee to be added to the cart. It's not a shipping fee but just a general fee that is required to be charged based on specific states. I'll need to do this for three states in total, with a different fee for each state.

Is anyone aware of a way to do this? Or is there an app solution out there somwhere?

I've set it up on the shipping end but it's not a shipping fee so it would be ideal if the fee showed up in the cart as a line item labeled "Fee" rather than as a shipping rate. 

Right now we only have one product type in the store so it would be applicable to any order going to either of these three states but we will be adding more products eventually so it'd be ideal if the solution would be applicable to specific products in my store. 

TIA!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
205 1 52

Hey Caroline, 

I'm Leon, from the team here at Shopify.

Adding a handling or processing fee isn't something that is built into Shopify at this time. Some work arounds would be to either add a fixed amount to your manual shipping rates or a fixed percentage to your calculated shipping rates like you've been doing, with a note for those areas that the shipping rate includes a $xx.xx fee. 

However, if you'd rather the fee be completely separate, there is an app I was able to find, Product Fees & Charges, that lets you create cart or individual product fees that are automatically applied to the order and cannot be removed by customers. I installed it to my test store to ensure you could set up a fee for a specific area and was successful in that. Give it a shot and let me know if you have any other questions! 

Have a great one,
Leon

Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Hey Leon - 

Thanks for reaching back out! We were able to investigate the app you suggested but it appears they're only able to do location fees based on IP address, rather than shipping address. So if someone was shipping to Arizona but was placing the order in Utah, the fee wouldn't apply. The app isn't able to get into the checkout process.

Any ideas around that?

Thanks,
Caroline

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
67 0 13

I encountered a similar issue with Canadian "Environmental Handling Fees," which depend on the destination province and the type of product but are not percentages - they're flat fees per item.  It's important that these appear as separate line items on the receipt, not just be rolled into "shipping and handling" or "tax," if they're not included in the item prices.

For my own shop, after working through all the details it turned out that I only really need to charge EHFs for any of my products in the province of British Columbia, and the fee is only $0.40 per unit, on products that sell for hundreds of dollars, so I was able to just say in my terms and conditions that they are included in the price where applicable and I pay it myself; trying to recover $0.40 per unit as a separate charge from the customer is not worth it.  But if the fees were a little more, or if their applicability were more complicated (which would be the case, for instance, if I were selling cell phones, which have larger and more widely applicable EHFs) I'd probably end up needing some sort of app for it, because Shopify's own support is non-existent.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Thanks for the insight, Matthew! Yes, our fees range around $15 per item that ships to certain states. And you're exactly right, I don't want to call it a shipping and/or handling fee because we're offering free shipping and this is just a fee we are required to charge and have to report each month.

We're trying to find a way within code to edit it but it might require more digging than we initially thought. 

Regardless, appreciate the response! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Thanks for the insight, Matthew! Yes, our fees range around $15 per item that ships to certain states. And you're exactly right, I don't want to call it a shipping and/or handling fee because we're offering free shipping and this is just a fee we are required to charge and have to report each month.

We're trying to find a way within code to edit it but it might require more digging than we initially thought. 

Regardless, appreciate the response! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Caroline, did you ever figure out how to accomplish the special charge for AZ customers? I'm currently trying to configure the same thing for customers in CA. Wondering if you can provide any guidance. Thanks!  

0 Likes