Adding insurance to the shopping cart

Becky_Scellato
Tourist
5 0 1

We have been covering the cost of insurance for our customers but with more orders coming in over $100 ( a good thing), we need to be able to add an option for the customer to add and pay for insurance.  Is there a way to do this?  I can't seem to find one.

Becky

ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
540 24 121

Out of the box, one way to do this would be to simply add variants to the products, where one variant is the product as-is, and another variant is the product with insurance.

★ ThemeUp: Nifty Upgrades for your Shopify Store ★ https://themeup.net
0 Likes
Stephen_T
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
226 0 21

Hi Becky,

Stephen a Shopify Guru here :)

You could set up a product called insurance and then use this application to offer the insurance product to your customers when they are on your chart page.( https://apps.shopify.com/in-cart-upsell )

Hope that helps, feel free to drop us a line at support@shopify.com if you have any other questions. 
Stephen :)

0 Likes
Becky_Scellato
Tourist
5 0 1

I don't think this would help or be practical.  As with a recent order when a customer had 18 items in their order, they could be paying more for the insurance than the cost of their order.  I find it hard to believe that with the thousands of customers that Shopify has that they are all covering the cost of adding insurance to their customers orders. With Shopify as progressive as it is,it's had to believe that there isn't an option in the shopping cart for adding insurance.

0 Likes
Becky_Scellato
Tourist
5 0 1

Since Upsell charges for their service, that's not a viable option either.

0 Likes
ThomasBorowski
Shopify Expert
540 24 121

To clarify, do you mean shipping insurance? Because I was assuming you meant some kind of insurance on items like is common for rentals. If you want to offer shipping insurance, you could just create separate shipping rates that include the cost of the insurance.

★ ThemeUp: Nifty Upgrades for your Shopify Store ★ https://themeup.net
Christine12
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
178 0 14

Hello,

Christine here from the Shopify Guru team - thanks for reaching out!

You may also want to consider an app like Shippo, they can offer insurance on labels as well. You would have to build the cost into the products or use some of the other fantastic suggestion in this thread.

Hope that helps! Let us know if you need anything else. We are just a click away :)

Cheers,
Christine 
Shopify Guru

0 Likes
Jack_Cockinos
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Christine,

I would like to add a charge for insurance on shipping in a form of a percentage of the retail price of  the goods purchased. E.G. I would like to charge 1.5% to cover insurance. The customer having to just tick at checkout wnationg insurance or not.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Jack

Mike_Moreno
5 0 0

Jack,

There is an app now for Shopify called Route. It offers shipping insurance for customers for around 1% of the cart value ($100 dollar product would be $1 to insure). Might be a good fit what you are looking for.

www.routeapp.io

0 Likes
racebeat
1 0 1

Have there been any updates to this and are there any solutions available? Looking to add insurance in the shopping cart.