Advice on store name that is taken?

Somethingsimple
Visitor
3 0 0

I am attempting to start my online store with Shopify, but unfortunately my business name is already taken as a store name.  My business is: Something Simple.  Both that and Something Simple Boutique are already taken.  However, I have an EIN, Sales Tax, and General Partnership already completed with my business name.  Is there anything I can do to claim the store name?  Or how much does the Store Name really matter?

Thanks!

UPDATE: I just attempted to change it and now it decided to let me so we are good I guess!

Replies 2 (2)

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 286

Thanks for updating your post to let us know that you were able to sign up using your preferred business name, @Somethingsimple! I wanted to offer some explanation as to why you were getting that error notification, what it means, and how to work around it in case you experience the same issue in the future for any other stores you may create. (Or for anyone else that may be currently experiencing this same situation).

The store name you use when creating your account is used for the myshopify.com url that is associated with your account, however you can change the actual store name once it has been created. The store name is edited by going to ‘Settings > General’ in your Shopify admin, and can be updated at any time. See the Help Doc for Adding business settings for your store for more info.

The myshopify.com url on the other hand is permanent on the account. However you can (and most merchants choose to do this anyways), use a custom domain, set it as your primary domain, and then your myshopify.com url will no longer be visible to your customers. Only you will see it when you are logged into your Shopify admin. You can read more about buying or using a third party custom domain in this Help Doc.

That being said, if you do encounter an error message stating that the store name is not available, you can try altering it slightly by adding or removing spaces, or including a number in it in order to create the account and get started on building your online business. To illustrate what I mean, please see the table below as an example using your business name.

Store name used at sign up

Myshopify.com url

Something Simple

something-simple.myshopify.com

SomethingSimple

somethingsimple.myshpoify.com

SomethingSimple1

somethingsimple1.myshopify.com

I’m glad you were able to eventually use your preferred business name upon sign up though! How is your store set up going so far? This General checklist for starting a new Shopify store is really helpful to work off, but let me know if you need a hand with anything so far. I’m here to help!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

SimplifiedShop
Excursionist
29 0 10

I made a YouTube video here describing some workarounds if your store name is taken and what Helen has also detailed through - hope it may help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egAg5IVovNk