Alert customer at checkout if an account already exists and encourage them to log in

clickandcreate
Tourist
3 0 1

Hello,

I have a question about user accounts at checkout.  I've been searching around to see if there is a way to do this, but I'm not finding anything.  So I have a client with a Shopify site, and they have an app that gives reward points for purchases, and sometimes users log into their user accounts and sometimes they don't, and there ends up being points associated with their user account, and then points not associated with their account. I know points can be manually moved from one place to another, but it gets confusing for people.

I was wondering if there was a way that, when a user goes to check out and they enter their email or phone number, an app could quickly search for an account and alert the user that a user account exists for their email or phone number and encourage them to log in before they complete their purchase.  Does anyone know if something like this exists, or is it even possible within Shopify's framework?

Thanks

Replies 4 (4)

Andrei21
Excursionist
18 0 2

Hi,

I have the same question. If a customer is already registered but then checks out as guest using the same email...   there should be some sort of validation or a message on the cart information page.

@clickandcreate - did you find any more info about this?

Thanks

clickandcreate
Tourist
3 0 1

No, unfortunately I haven't gotten any other info on this.  What we ended up doing for the particular client that I wanted this for was to combine two apps, a social login (https://apps.shopify.com/one-click-social-login), and another one that encourages the user to activate an account after purchase (https://apps.shopify.com/smart-account-activate).  So far it seems to be working okay.

Andrei21
Excursionist
18 0 2

Thank you for the follow up.

Just checked out the Smart Account Activate app. Seems like a good app to have.

What if an existing registered user, checks out as guest, will they be taken to the post check out activation page?  Will there be any conflicts with their existing account or will the Smart Account Activate simply change their password?

We're actually exploring how to create a consistent log in and have customers remain logged in across their devices and not have Shopify log out customers after 24 hours. Kind of like Amazon.

clickandcreate
Tourist
3 0 1

If there is already an account, it doesn't seem to do anything.  I did a test after I installed the app.  I wasn't logged in (and I kind of forgot I already had a customer account), but it didn't ask me to activate an account.

What you're trying to do sounds interesting.  I hope you find a solution.