Am I lying to myself or am I almost there?

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
12 1 2

Even though I have made ZERO sales in the past 6 months, I feel like it hasn't been a total loss... right? Yeah because I have learned a lot. Or am I just lying to myself? In the beginning, I was in it because it sounded easy enough. I went from thinking about how I can make all this money and not do anything. To today, where when I go to sleep, dreaming about having my own storefront downtown, doing in-person and online sales in the same location. Build an investment portfolio, I want to get to a place where I can start a non-profit to help other LGBTQ+ youth that are struggling, all funded by my LLC. LIKE IT'S SO WEIRD, I'm not the same guy I was six months ago! This store has oddly taught me a lot and I haven't sold a thing... Which is where the problem lies... 

Am I just lost in this dream or do other people take a long time to get off the ground. I'm not struggling financially, not going crazy with ads. But am I looking too much into the fact that FINALLY 3%-10% of customers in my funnel are just now entering the add to cart stage? Like I started all of this without a single idea of what I'm doing to now, where it looks like the engine is going to start turning soon with some more tinkering. Am I at that next big step where it's slowly gonna get "easier"? Or is this just a delusion and I'm wasting time I should be focusing on my Computer Science Degree and my part-time job? Because I really enjoy working on the site and doing this on a daily bases. I've learned to pretty much put up my blinders when it comes to what other people are saying about what they did or how they made their first sale in 24 hours.    

Like I'm proud to say, this is my store. MountainManCollection.com and I am constantly asking for feedback from people I meet, work with and live with rather than the "six-figure" youtube gurus. I tell myself if this was easy, everyone would be doing it and those people just want to turn a quick buck by selling a dream so they can make content instead of being real and honest to people how running a business is tough. Or am I just being stubborn and there is a huge hole in my logic? 

I want to go from dropshipping to my own line of clothing to opening a store and down that whole rabbit hole. But I feel I need to get down eCommerce first before starting anything else. I know I'm the type of person that gets bored without a challenge and probably why this has got me hooked for so long.  I don't want to through in the towel, I want this to be my future. I just need an outside perspective on all of this. 

0 Likes

Success.

Community Manager
Community Manager
2367 163 339

Hi @MountainMan,

Nick here from Shopify. 

I want to start by saying I think you've done a great job with your store and it looks really good and professional. I don't believe the problem of not making a sale is there at all. 

I think your focus moving forward is through marketing and building your brand up. I know you mentioned you did do some ads, but I feel by doing more and being more active on social media you can get your store to a place to make consistent sales. Below are some things I think you could continue working on more than others to help build your brand presence and start to make sales:

• Facebook ads - Facebook ads can be difficult to figure out at the best of times. But I believe the key to good Facebook ads is testing and learning your audience and what works, what doesn't. But this takes time and testing. There is a technique called the 3x3x3 method which helps structure this a bit and has helped me on my store also. As I mentioned this will take some testing and because of that your first few FB ad campaigns should be all based around finding the right audience for your products. It starts out by creating 3 different ads for 3 different audiences with 3 different sets of copy/ images with a small but similar budget for each. So, for example, you could do one focused on the Colorado region for people interested in camping, then you could do another focused on people in California between the age of 20 - 35 with the same interests and so on. Over time you'll see some of the ads performing better than others and you can begin to drop off the ads which aren't working as well and increase the budget on the ones which are to reach your key audiences. There are some good guides online which go into detail about this further which you can see here
  • Instagram engagement - Something else I've found very effective is organic Instagram engagement. The idea of actively going out and searching, starting, creating and getting involved in conversations on Instagram with people who are like-minded and interested in what your brand represents such as camping, exploring, etc. There was a podcast last year hosted by a top Shopify expert with a store successfully using this technique going into detail about how to do this which is well worth the listen here
  • Blog - I think your blog is great and after taking a look at your Facebook page saw it gained a lot of traction. I would suggest keeping that momentum going and to keep blogging as it will not only help your brand presence as content to share but also your SEO. The content team wrote a blog about blogging, which I think could be a good read for you here

I'm wishing you all the best and think you are in a great place now, but to focus on marketing and building your brand presence. 

Cheers, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Tourist
12 1 2

Hey Nick! 

Thank you so much for your post it meant a lot. I have no idea what happened but today I got three sales out of nowhere. I was at work, right in front of my general manager when my phone went off with the first Shopify purchase notification. I had no idea what it was and saw the sale go through, I actually broke down right in front of her. I don't cry so she thought someone in my family had just died. Like there was just so many emotions that came over me and it felt amazing. For a bit, it just felt like the world had stopped and I was questioning if I was awake. I didn't talk for a solid five minutes and was just silently crying out of joy. When I finally was able to put myself back together and told her what happened she freaked out with excitement, but also too never do that again. haha  Today was a really, really good day! 

Thank you so much for all the advice and the compliment on my store! It really means a lot that you took the time to write out a long and detailed explanation of strategies! Like you totally didn't have to do that but you did! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I genuinely mean it! 

I just got home from work and if you need me (which you won't cause why would you) I'm gonna go figure out exactly what just happened today to try to replicate it and use your advice. I'm going to keep building my brand and make sure all the orders a properly being fulfilled tonight ( at least as much as I can without annoying my supplier XD)  

THANK YOU AGAIN NICK YOU ARE AWESOME!!! 

1 Like
Community Manager
Community Manager
2367 163 339

Hi @MountainMan,

Thank you for replying with this wonderful news. I'm very happy that you finally made some sales and hope that this can continue for you going forward. I feel like you truly care not just about the sales but what your store is about also. Wishing you all the best going for the future!

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes