American Express Prepaid Gift Card

knorman
Visitor
2 0 0

Good morning, we have an issue with Shopify not accepting a prepaid American Express Gift Card. Is that payment method not allowed and if so why not? We accept all major credit cards such as Visa, AMEX, MC and Discover. 

Thanks.

Kelley Norman (Duckhead)

Replies 2 (2)

Oliver
Shopify Staff (Retired)
429 48 106

Hi, @knorman !

Are you trying to pay for your Shopify subscription or is this for a customer trying to place an order through you're checkout?

If you're trying to pay a Shopify invoice, the credit card must be a VISA, Mastercard, or AMEX. Hybrid debit/credit cards for these brands are supported; Prepaid cards are not supported although they may sometimes work. Virtual credit cards are also not accepted.

If this is for a customer, generally they need to register an address or verify the card. Cards will usually come with instructions that explain how to set this up. This usually occurs when the customer hasn't verified their card in this way.

Warm regards! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

mckkev
Visitor
1 0 0

Is this new as I have for several years never registered my gift cards (I don't even know how) and they have been accepted by ShopPay online.   However they are all declined now (while the cards are accepted at other merchants - the card itself is not the problem, it's Shopify accepting it).