Anyone has had their packages stopped at UK Customs because of Vat?

Fedack
3 0 0

Greetings all,

I was wondering, I have packages to ship soon and I admit I was just informed of the VAT situation with the UK.

Anyone has had their packages blocked by customs due to not having collected VAT?

Thanks

0 Likes
BiancaBlake
Tourist
18 0 2

Are you a U.S. or Canadian company? I am happy to assist. Thank you! Bianca at Euro VAT Refund

0 Likes
Fedack
3 0 0

Here's the thing.

I am Canadian but don't technically have a company. I have a very small business where I make stuff in my home. I am not registered as a company, this is all handmade stuff.

Which makes getting a VAT number very tricky, or handling all that paperwork.

0 Likes
BiancaBlake
Tourist
18 0 2

I understand. It's tricky because the UK just changed their rules January 1, 2021:

-If your sale is below £135 GBP:

Your U.S. company needs to start charging VAT to your UK customers. Yes, that is right for any product priced £1- £135 GBP you need to add 20% UK VAT. This means a non-UK resident seller must add  20% VAT on the sale though their website checkout. For example, if you are selling something for $10  you need to add $2 VAT and thereby the total charge is $12 at checkout. The $2 collected in VAT needs to be reported and paid into HMRC. In addition, a simplified customs declaration will still be required. Charging VAT in the UK and reporting - requires a UK VAT registration. Email me at bianca.blake@eurovat.com we are happy to explain more.

0 Likes
BiancaBlake
Tourist
18 0 2

-If your sale is above £135 GBP:

Goods above this value are subject to import VAT and duty at customs. No new change to this rule, but the tricky part now becomes to keep track of currency exchange rates at each time of sale. For example, if your product price is $180 USD some days you might be above £135 GBP and other days below. The £135 threshold is based on the intrinsic value of the goods, excluding transport, insurance and other import taxes.

If your imported goods are valued above £135 (or multiple goods with a combined intrinsic value above £135) then you as a U.S. seller still have the option to make your customers pay for VAT to customs. In other words, when you sell the product you inform your customer that they are responsible for importing the goods and have to pay duty + 20% VAT to customs.

0 Likes
Fedack
3 0 0

Hello Bianca,

I have sent you an email. Perhaps I can get some stuff clarified and I won't have to default to selling things on Ebay for UK customers.

0 Likes