App for Approval Flows and Groups?

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi there,

We currently sell office supplies through a software other than Shopify. For us to switch, one of the required features would be to have approval flows and approval groups.

An approval flow would look like this:

User enters order > order is sent to manager(s) for approval > manager edits, denies, changes, or approves order > order is sent to us > we process the order.

Is there an app that does this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
659 51 115

Hello, Jordan! 

Karlie here from the Shopify Guru Team! That is a great question! With the Shopify platform, you can enable certain steps of the order process to manual - which would allow you to review the order before your fulfill or cancel the order. You have a couple of different options that I think could work for your business idea.

Your first option would be to manually capture order payments. This would allow you to review an order before you accept the payment from your customer. You can view all of your customer's order details from your Shopify Admin> Orders> and Click on the order number that you would like to review. This guide goes into detail about how the order section of the Shopify Admin works. As for manually capturing order payments, you will want to review the steps to capture payments manually, here!
To enable this feature, you can follow the steps below:

1. From your Shopify admin, go to your Settings section > Payment providers.
  2. Under Payment authorization you will want to click on 'Manually capture payment for orders'
    This guide will show you step by step how to enable the manual payment capture method.

Now, along with manually capturing your customer's order payments, you can also manually fulfill orders. Again, this would allow you to review an order before you send out your product to be shipped. To enable this option, you will want to follow these instructions:

1. Head into your Shopify admin and go to your Settings > Checkout section
  2. Scroll down to the 'Order processing' section
  3. select 'Do not automatically fulfill any of the order's line items' under 'After an order has been paid'
  4. Hit 'Save'
    For step by step instructions, be sure to check out our help guide for more information on manual fulfillment. 

Your other option would be to use an app that would allow you to review the order and approve or deny the order before it is fulfilled. You could look into using the NoFraud app which is designed to review your orders for fraudulent activity, but you could also use it to review your orders and 'pass' or 'fail' any orders that you don't want to go through. You can check out the NoFraud app here

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions - be sure to ask and we would be happy to help!

Karlie
Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

*Karlie* | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hey Karlie,

Thanks for your response! However, we wouldn't be the ones reviewing the order - the user's manager or supervisor would.

In our current approval flow, the user enters the order, but it is not yet sent to us to fulfill. Before we receive the order, it must go to the user's manager or supervisor for approval or denial. They would receive an email with the products that their employee (the user) is trying to order. Only if and when their manager approves the order is it sent to us. 

I don't think a manual process would work, as we have 100's of orders per day. 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi Karlie,

Thanks for the information regarding the manual order processing.

I have question regarding specific group or items for manual processing.

For instance, We have items that needs doctor's approval for checkout e.g. prescribed medicine approved by doctors (and this is only for the clients who are currently working with the doctors they got a prescription medicine). Sometimes the clients need to get a refill and the prescriptions are only valid for one year. 

The very first time would be when the client is trying to check out to purchase, it will need to say something like " it needs your doctor's visits and an approval for the purchase" and once the doctor approves it (or the in-house team who check the record for their visit), they are allow to checkout and the shipment can be prepared for fulfillment.  

Is there specific apps that enables to create these types of custom modules? or already created app that is similar I can make some adjustment to apply for this scenarios? 

What are my options?

Euna J
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Jordan,

I saw your post and we are facing exact the same problem with the approval flow as you described, may I ask if you have found a solution? What was it? It would be really helpful!  

Not sure if you ever see the message but asking costs nothing

Kind regards,

Anna

0 Likes