Approving Customer Accounts Upon Creation

Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 1

I'm curious about creation of customer accounts. My site is members only for purchases, viewing prices, etc.  When a customer requests an account, I need it to be put into an approval status. Once I confirm they should be granted access I would approve them.  Is this possible? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
242 1 20

Hi Wyatt

There are two options here. The easiest one is to not put a sign up link on the website, but have a "request membership" sign up form. You could use the contact page for that if you wanted.

Then you get an email when they fill that out. You would create the account (just copy and paste the info) and email them an invitation. They click the link in the invite to make the password.

The other way is let them create the account, but hide the pages with the Locksmith app. Then after you approve them you would apply a "tag" to the customer account so they can see the pages and products locked with Locksmith.

-Shawn R.

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

Hi,

How do I change the remove the "create account" button and substitute it for a "request membership" form?

thanks in advance

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

Hi @Shawn_R 

How do I change the remove the "create account" button and substitute it for a "request membership" form?

thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 0

Was there any update on how to do this as I am looking for this myself?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
68 0 12

@BerserksGlass did you sort it out? thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
68 0 12

@BerserksGlass ended up adding a registration option on log-in page but restricting access unless customer has been tagged as approved. Used this in case anyone needs help https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/HELP-How-to-approve-customer-accounts/m-p/322639

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

@danielagsb 

Where do you enter the code to restrict access until approved? Doesn't say in the link you sent. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
68 0 12

@Ubest theme template, just followed shopify's tutorial on creating a members only store and adapted it slightly by using :

{% unless customer and customer.tags contains 'Approved' %}

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Thank you! 

0 Likes