Are Shopify fees in USD only

Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm considering setting up a store using Shopify. I notice that Shopify fees are denominated in US$ even in the localized Shopify site in the country that I'm in - South Africa. Does Shopify only offer the option of paying them in USD? This can be a gotcha when dealing with situation of wildly fluctuating exchange rates such as I am in right now, and render effective planning virtually meaningless. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
912 78 102

Hi @theRex,

Ted here from Shopify, thanks for posting your query!

You are correct, Shopify does indeed charge in USD globally. A great breakdown of how we charge in full can be found here if you would like to take a look. 

As a global platform, Shopify ultimately had to make the decision to administer our fees in a currency that would carry the least worldwide "friction", and could offer the best opportunity for store owners across the globe to pay without suffering unnecessary exchange rate issues. We understand that this can vary on location from time to time but the US Dollar overall offers the best chance at being as fair as possible to every store using our platform globally.

We do understand that this is a request that merchants have asked for and we do hope that this is something that can be offered in the future. 

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know, I'm happy to help!

Many thanks,

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes