Are invite emails mandatory for imported customers?

Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi there,

I'm currently building a new site in Shopify (migrating across from a Romancart solution) and read that, when importing customers from the old system, you have to send them Shopify invite emails (from within the platform) in order for them to be able to activate their new Shopify accounts. I see that this can be done manually, but we have around 7,000 records, so the suggestions are that we'd need to use an app for this...

The thing is, I have just imported a test record (with firstname, lastname and email address as thats all we'll have) and when I then go to the site and 'sign-up' with those exact details on /account/register (as if I was a migrated user from our 'old site'), I am simply sent an account activation email which, when clicked, confirms my account and all looks good.

So my question is, why can't we just import all our customers, then send them all an email asking them to go to the site (/account/register) and 'sign-up' with their email address to confirm their account? Why would we use the Shopify 'Invite' tool/pay for a 3rd party app instead?

Thanks in advance for your help/explanation!

Highlighted
Tourist
25 0 1

Hiya,

Did you ever get an answer / find an answer for this? I'm interested in hearing what you've learned!

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1
No, I didn't get a reply from anyone I'm afraid. We haven't launched yet,
but have all of our customers who had previously opted in to receive emails
in our email platform, so can still take either approach... were hoping to
go live soon though, so need to choose a direction before too long!

Part of me wonders whether the fact that no one has questioned this is
because people are afraid to try doing it any other way. But having tried
the workaround I don't understand why that's not an option. Maybe there's
some account-based good reason for this - if so it would be really helpful
to hear it.

Cheers
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I'm also interested in a solution for this

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

same here.

@Shopify can't you have a look at this ?

if an invitation = login with his email, therefore we just need to shoot our all DB

thx for answering.

Simon