Ask A Guru: Why Am I Not Making Sales?

Tourist
11 0 1

Thank you Nicolas- I will follow your advice if there is anything I can do in return let me know- this was very helpful.

Take care

Rudy

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
46 0 12

Hi Rudy - stumbled across this post and your store. Spent a few minutes poking around it and the site is certainly pleasing aesthetically, but I have some input to give.

1) I land on your homepage and right away I see the first carousel image (a slightly blurry pic of a wooden pumpkin?) and your logo. That's it. This doesn't deliver much to me to help understand what your store, brand, products are all about. You have literally seconds to help brand new visitors "get" what your business is all about. I see "Amish Made" in the browser tab, so that gives me a hint, but before I can really figure out what you're about I'm hit with an email collection pop-up. My opinion is that the first 5-10 seconds on your website aren't really a great first impression.

2) There's a ton of home decor like this in the world. I live right by a Hobby Lobby store and there's a lot of similar looking items. (Probably Chinese made though?) Anyway, with a business like yours, you need to realize you're not just selling products. You're selling a story. If these are genuine Amish made pieces, you need to be selling the story behind each product. Ever heard of Grovemade.com? Check them out. They sell some fine craftsman goods and do an amazing job of telling the story of their business and products and inspiration. I encourage you to think of your website as a place where you share inspiration, tell the story of your products and the craftsmen, and you just happen to sell stuff too.

3) Your product photography isn't bad, but it's not consistent. In many cases I feel like there is nothing for scale so I have no sense of how big these pieces are. That's a big problem.

4) Value proposition. Every business MUST have one. What's yours? It's the answer to the question "Why should someone shop with you?" Do you have the best selection? Best quality? Best shipping? Best pricing? Best service? Best something? You MUST have a thing. Something that you can boast and brag about. Something to tell people why they should buy from you instead of Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Etsy, Amazon, etc.

5) You mention 80+ visitors a day. It's not a lot but it's a start. My question is... How many of each 80 are you bringing back? How aggressively are you retargeting? The harsh reality is that less than 1% of new visitors will buy. No matter what you sell. No matter how good you are. So you bring in 80 people and less than 1 on average will spend a dime. But as you bring people back more and more, they're expotentially more likely to pull out their wallets. Driving traffic is one thing. Driving repeat traffic is another.

Summary) You're working hard which is great, but don't think FB ads are the answer. They're not. They're one small piece of a really big puzzle. Feel free to reach out if I can be of more assistance.

Cheers!

John Bishop | Four Six Commerce | john@foursixcommerce.com | 972-556-5113
5 Likes
Tourist
11 0 1

Thank you - your timing in responding was amazing- we have just sent out focus group inquiries and as we were processing returns- your feedback came in. And to your credit- your points were spot on with many of our respondents. This is good for us as we can now focus our work on some solid goals.

If there is anything you'd like me to help you with in return let me know.

Thanks again

Rudy

0 Likes
2 0 0

Hey there Josh, I saw on your website you have a pinterest but use NZD, would love to know what you did

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
131 0 12

Howdy,

I would like to share my experience about "Getting TONS OF TRAFFIC but NO SALE"

Have you ever heard about "Conversion rate"?

Sale or Converion = Number of traffic * Conversion rate

No traffic, no conversion! If you got traffic, it is the first great thing. The other thing is to optimize Conversion Rate. I'm actually a digital marketer who has been struggled a lot about Conversion Rate Optimization. 

My experience is a lot related to Google Analytics, so I recommend you install Google Analytics Conversion Tracking on your site.

The conversion rate is made up of a lot of small ingredients. So my advice is that you break your traffic into small categories, sources... to see which one generate the most sale/conversion, then invest more in those.

As said, I cannot tell the way to improve conversion, but where you can find the problems. Please have a look at my sharing about Shopify Sales/Conversion Tracking

Hope add some value :)

Download free Shopify theme: https://www.sellersmith.com/pages/sellersmith-free-themes
0 Likes
1 0 0

Hi everyone i have seen all the post and i have the same questions that most. Why im not selling???

If you can give me some feedback i will appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

www.gamergeekshop.com

0 Likes
7 0 0

Hi everyone, 

My store is about 2 months plus old now, still don't have sales right now, I researched and applied all that I could learn from promoting, marketing, advertising namely, facebook adverts, IG influencers, provide discounts, free shipping, sharing to everyone, email marketing, google pixel has already been running, including google merchant, sales app  and other apps that I have used are sale pop by beeketing, optinmate, frequently bought together upsell, hurrify, abandonment plus etc. I have a lot of store traffic, likes and facebook page visits using facebook adverts and IG ads, and I also regularly post on facebook groups that have the same niche on my store.

I am open to any suggestions, any advise or tips that you can share. Any feedback on my store would be very helpful.

My shopify store: https://www.stompiton.com

Thanks all!

0 Likes
3 0 0

Hi everyone!  I'm new to the forums and ecommerce in general.  I have had my site up going on two months.  I haven't had a sale yet other than friends and family.  I have had up and down visitors most of the success with that has come from Google AdWords.  I have used Facebook Ads as well as Instagram.  I have Facebook and Instagram set up.  I've gone through countless changes on my page but I feel like I'm still missing something.  I haven't been able to recover any abandoned carts even with email campaigns with discounts.  Please help me figure out what is missing.  At this point I'm open to anything.

I will also add I have been pretty successful with the Amazon app plugin and that's where a lot of my sales come from.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
46 0 12

Ron Green, thanks for jumping in. Just took a look at your store (only for a moment) and my immediate input for you is that there's a major disconnect with your brand. So the URL is R3-Innovations (sounds like an electronics manufacturer), the header (in my browser tab) reads "Gym Clothing Apparel | Yoga...", and then the very first image on your carousel is a high-fashion shot of a woman definitely not wearing gym clothes.

Simply put, you have an identity crisis. The key to launching a new store/brand is to have a crystal clear identity and a solid value proposition. I could spend hours and days getting into more detail on that, so if you want to dive deeper, feel free to reach out.

Thanks! Best of luck!

John Bishop | Four Six Commerce | john@foursixcommerce.com | 972-556-5113
0 Likes
3 0 0

Thanks for the input John!  Yeah I would have to agree with your post.  When I started it wasn't as I would have done it now.  I didn't narrow down my niche enough.  I'll change the carousel pictures and start working on a brand name that fits more into what I'm selling which is athleisure clothing for fitness minded men and women. Anything else that you would suggest?  

0 Likes