Assign boxes to products

Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 5

Does anyone out there know if there is there a way to assign boxes to products, such that shipping can be calculated correctly at checkout?

My box sizes vary greatly, so the shipping calculations can  be very inaccurate.

Thank you for your help.

-Geoff
XGuitars.com

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
88 10 22

Hi, Geoff.

Emma here from Shopify. Thanks for reaching out!

When you are shipping products that vary greatly in size, the included shipping options can certainly fall short, given the limitation of only being able to select one default package size.

Our development team has received feedback from merchants like yourself who would love to see the option for assigning package sizes per product, so I know it's on their radar. We are always looking for ways to improve Shopify!

In the meantime, you can assign specific shipping packages to individual products with the use of an app such as Boxify (free 15-day trial) or Parcelify (free 30-day trial). Both of these apps are well reviewed by merchants. I'd recommend giving one (or both) a try to see if they suit your needs. So long as an app is removed within the trial period, you wouldn't see any charge for it on your Shopify invoice.

Let us know how you make out, and if you have any further questions just reply below and we'd be more than happy to assist you as best we can!

Emma | Shopify Support

-Emma- | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 15

Boxify is trash. i have yet to have a good experience with any of the apps. just make boxes assignable. this is basic shipping 101. all this lack of box selection fiasco has done is cost me sales and or money.

Highlighted
1 0 8

Any idea if they are making progress on adding this feature? My products also have varying package sizes and it will be extremely important to assign boxes to certain products. 

Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 10

Exact same question. I have many products that are one size, but a couple that are significantly larger.

Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 10

Tried installing parcelify, and after installation it hit me with this requirement:

parcelify.png

Can't really justify paying a bunch more for a free trial when I don't even know if the thing will do what I need it to do.

About to see if any better luck with another app.

Thanks

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 13

Hey Geoff,

It been year now this thread started. Do we have any solution for this?

We're facing same problem for our client. And other makes it impossible to manage.

Thanks,

Gary

Highlighted
Excursionist
14 0 23
If you search this forum, you'll see that this feature has been asked for many YEARS. And the most we've ever gotten is some useless Admin telling us they're listening and to spend money on apps.

Don't hold your breath on this ever happening.
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 9

Guys, I have a hack that I personally use on my stores (shameless plug, https://www.streetsaw.com). The reason that the sizes are being charged more is due to something called "dimensional weight." (Learn more here: https://goshippo.com/blog/usps-dimensional-weight-pricing-june-2019/) In essence, the size of your box is increasing the "weight" that the carrier charges to you for shipping.

I know that the real reason you're here is that you are charging the customer price A but having to pay price B, even though it doesn't weigh as much as you're being charged for. The reason Shopify hasn't bothered to make this update yet is that carriers are CONSTANTLY changing how they charge. Rates fluctuate frequently, new rules are implemented, flat rates change... blah blah blah.

Anyways, the hack is to go to the carrier's pages (like this one for USPS: https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/123.htm#1185034) and do the calculations on your own, determine the "dimensional weight" and use THAT weight for your product(s).

Follow these steps to determine the dimensional weight for a rectangular parcel:

1. Measure the length, width, and height in inches. Round off each measurement to the nearest whole inch.
  2. Multiply the length by the width by the height.
  3. If the result exceeds 1,728 cubic inches, divide the result by 166 and round up to the next whole number to determine the dimensional weight in pounds.

From one store owner to another: I hope that helps!

Sincerely,

Daniel Moravec

Highlighted
1 0 6

What's the update on this Emma?

Been a year already, Im sure by now Shopify has come up with a solution.