Automatic SKU generation

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Hello

Can anyone tell me if Shopify will automatically generate SKU's?

During my demo I though it did, but having loaded up some existing products Shopify is not generating SKU's for new products. Could the imported SKU's be interfering? or was I mistaken before.

I can't find any settings anywhere.

The various articles I've found seem to be offering a variety of answers as to whether Shopify will or won't generate them so I am none the wiser.

I don't care what the format is as long as they are unique

I will appreciate any help

thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
69 12 23

Hi,

As far I as know, Shopify does not generate SKU's for your products automatically.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Thanks Jayvin

It is such a basic feature, it is a bit like discovering Shopify doesn't support product prices or product pictures...

seems like I might have misremembered from the demo store I built and I need to reconsider if Shopify will work for me.

kind regards

James

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi Jamesmac, 

This is technically possible, but would require you to use the Product creation webhook. When the product is created it would send a request to a server to create a SKU.

An easier way to do this might be to export the products to a .csv file and create an excel function that creates a SKU. After that re-upload the .csv with overwrite selected.

Let me know,

Kyle 

Let's get Shopify figured out together. Get live USA-based customer service for your current or upcoming web project.

We offer free and paid Shopify support.
Monday - Friday | 9 AM — 5 PM EST
Email: hello@freshnarrative.io | tel: (443) 345-8162
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
0 Likes