Available Domain appears to be unavailable in Shopify’s BuyNewDomain

radiantred
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi. I’m trying to buy a domain which is available. But it appears to be unavailable on Shopify’s Buy New Domain.

I had the domain originally registered elsewhere. But I had it deleted already. I searched everywhere, and it’s already available... except on Shopify.

please help.

Replies 6 (6)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

Hey, @radiantred!

It is likely that you're trying to purchase a domain that Shopify does not support if the domain is available elsehwere, but not through the Shopify admin. While it is only a select few domains that can not be purchased through Shopify, it is almost always a domain that is regional (has regional ending such as .de). If you can share the domain you're trying to purchase then I can do some digging into what I can find out for you. 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

GeorginaR
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi there,

I am having the same issue. The domain I want is a .com.au. I assumed that these would be available on Shopify?

Thanks,

Lee-Anne

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@GeorginaR 

Some regional domains such as .com.au can not be sold through Shopify and will require that you purchase the domain through a third-party domain manager such as GoDaddy. You can follow our guide here on how to connect your domain once you have purchased the domain through a third-party domain manager.

SugarSlimShop
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, 

I have a similar problem. I originally bought the domain from Shopify, then I deleted it and closed my shop. When I reopened my shop, the domain was still available, but Shopify shows that it is unavailable. Therefore, I had to choose a similar domain name for the time being, but, now that I am ready for a full launch, I need my original domain. How can I get access to it again?

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@SugarSlimShop 

How long ago did you purchase the original domain? Was it within the last year or longer than that? 

globearts
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello

I am having the same issue with a .com domain that shows available on network solutions, yet not of shopify? any ideas?