BADLY NEEDED: Products CSV import needs image alt text column

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
22 0 3

this is a fatal flaw with what would seem like such an easy fix.  the fact that this was pointed out 12 months ago and hasn't been addressed...

0 Likes
Excursionist
45 0 7

How about a way to FTP the .csv file?

Seems though once we started to upload our full product range of 2500 items, it now takes 2 hours for the file to upload, and it does not overwrite the items. Usually adds to the products. We have not launched the new site using Shopify yet for this reason.

Would be very helpful for our situation to be able to FTP file, and overwrite it. We sell product via eCommerce, wholesale, and retail....our product inventory changes daily and is pulled each morning from the central database....we cannot have it taking 2 hours each morning....

Our curent cart takes a couple fo minutes via FTP....

Maybe this is an option in the very near future....

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
72 0 11

Hi everyone,

I'm a developer at Shopify. We're working on some major improvements to the CSV product importer at this very moment. We plan to add support for importing metafields, for things like Google Product Categories and GTINs. We can also add support for including alt text.

I can't make any promises about a release date for it, but I definitely intend it to be sooner rather than later.

0 Likes
Excursionist
45 0 7

Any thoughts on an FTP option to speed up the process? A timeframe would be helpful.. we are thinkn about having to change to another platform if there is not another upload option.

0 Likes
Excursionist
45 0 7

hoping for the best on the upgrades to the importer..really like using Shopify.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
72 0 11

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately, an FTP product upload isn't being planned right now, as far as I know. I'm really sorry if this is a breaking issue for you.

As for your comment about overwriting the products, there is an option in the CSV upload dialog to overwrite products. Is this option not working for you?

0 Likes
Excursionist
45 0 7

unfortunately, if they decide to change the product name, it does not work....really need an option to replace the file.

Yes, this is going to be a breaking issue for us. A 2 hour upload time is not acceptable. I just submitted upload of 3259 products at 11:50...and I am timing it. 

I have over 6 months of work into bulding and cusomt izing the site. I did the majority of the work with a small number of products that i entered manually. The upload issue did not occur until we had the site far enough along to figure out how to export our inventory database to match up with you .csv file. Without a shorter upload time I will have to start the  6+ months of work over and countless hour of modifications and liquid learning curve will be for nothing.

0 Likes
Excursionist
45 0 7

I cannot image that other shops have not run into this issue as well...

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

I can upload a products.csv file with 1371 products (doing product edits) in about 5 minutes. I think that is well within reason. I usually upload a file to add between 20 and 70 products at a time and it tales a 2-3 minutes. I have no problem with that. Having FTP access to the server eliminates their ability to completely accept the PCI compliance which is a large part why we chose Shopify. Yeah, uploading images and CSV files takes a bit longer, but we don't have to deal with PCI compliance and that makes me a happy man.

But the CSV upload being SO limited in what it can do is crazy.

I also want the ability to include ALT Text with my images. There are so many features that Shopify can utilize but they're only available to their smaller shops because they don't have many products to edit. If you have a lot, you spend more on your monthly fee and you have limited access to necessary features, unless you have the time to go through and edit every single product for individually. That sucks.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

+1 we really need this feature!!!

0 Likes