BADLY NEEDED: Products CSV import needs image alt text column

Highlighted
Shopify Expert
55 0 7

The new Alt text attributes that can be added to product images is terrific. But for many customers who rely on the import/export feature to help them bulk add/edit products, the lack of support for this new Alt text field in the CSV file's columns is now causing a major headache. In some cases we have needed to use this Alt text to contain information needed to trigger certain behavior on the product detail pages but even if it's just plain alt text for SEO purposes, this is needed. Not sure but I believe I'm right when I say that ALL other fields for products and variants are included in the CSV!? 

Would love to hear someone from Shopify chime in on the validity or lack thereof of this request and what the likelihood of it being rectified soon might be. 

Thanks to all.

Cheers/Joe

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

I strongly second this.

I've put in my request for this in the "Request features"  thread under "Shopify Discussions" forum.

This feature would be a colossal time saver.

Thanks

G

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
4131 29 383

Indeed... anyone interested in visual search results depends on the SEO from ALT tags. Makes sense to describe your best images with pizazz.

Custom Shopify Apps built just for you! hunkybill@gmail.com http://www.resistorsoftware.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Agree, for shops with many products it's a must. You don't want to go through 4000+ products and enter ALT tags manually. Does anyone know a work around for the time being?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 1

Any feedback on this?

I agree this is an issue as I certainly don't have the time to manually update all my products manually.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
35 0 8

Count me among those who support this request.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
690 0 69

+1

I'm a million different people
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
178 0 36

Hi,

This feature was already on our list of customer requests. I've gone in and given it votes for everyone in this thread that wants it. If more people post that they want it, I will vote it up further.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I've just recognised this as a major downfall in my shiny new 'Product Upload Procedure'. Put my down as a vote for this functionality.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 1

It needs this and a lot more, I'm starting to think that Shopify is made for small stores who don't want to push out a lot of inventory. A nice simple platform to work with but the CSV features needs to have some serious work done to it.

1. a column for ALT atributes,

2. a minimum product order, 

3. a column for google categories

4. a column for brand / manufacturer

5. a column for GTIN's

Without these features it is an absolute nightmare to seriously push out a large quantity of products, I'm starting to get the feeling that Shopify is great to cut your teeth on but as you delve deeper in to it one finds the limitations hold you back. Shame, it is a great platform and I would love to stay using it so please make a little more effort to support those of us who want to take this seriously and push out a large quantity of products to multi market places.

In my frustration I have started sniffing around Magento and have observed that it does actually support these features.

Come on Shopify, give the customers what they want!! :)

0 Likes