Backup my website?

dandelion3
Excursionist
97 0 8

I have my website and some of the texts and photos are on my computer, but sometimes I think there is no backup of the whole thing. Do you do that? And how?

Alice_S
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
62 0 15

Hey, there!

My name is Alice and I'm a part of the Guru team here at Shopify, and I'd be happy to help you out with your query!

If you want to duplicate, backup, or transfer your store's data, you will need to export a series of CSV files from your original store, and have them saved to use again in the event of something happening or you wished to move to a new store.  You can also download a copy of your theme as a backup.  You can see more on how to do this here.  

If you wished to backup using an app either, you could do this using an app such as Rewind which saves products and product images, customers, orders, blogs, blog posts, comments, collections, themes and all the theme files in the secure Rewind Vault.

Hopefully this will help you out, and if you have any more questions on this, we're happy to help out 24-7! ?

dandelion3
Excursionist
97 0 8

Thanks! This sounds labourous and complicated! And I would have to do it each time I update. What are the others here doing? Do you back up at all? Is it necessary and if yes why?

0 Likes
Mike_Potter
Shopify Partner
74 0 23

HI Dandelion: 
   You're right - the manual process from Shopify is laborous, complicated, and in fact doesn't even really work. (If your products get deleted - all the images in your CSV file won't be imported when you import the file).

The only way to get a true backup of your system is to install our backup app, Rewind, into your Shopify store. We'll backup your products, orders, customres, collections, themes and theme files, and a few other things, and save them in our Rewind Vault. You can go back to any previous version of any item at any time.

Rewind is the #1 backup app for Shopify, and is currently backing up over 1 billion items for thousands of store owners. 

Typically we see customers needing a backup because of three reasons:

1. Apps that they integrate have a bug, and cause problems.
  2. They import data using CSV files that cause problems.
  3. Human error - people accidentally make mistakes and delete items.  

Rewind protects your store against all of these potential causes of disaster.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have about Rewind, or backing up your Shopify store in general.

Mike

Co-Founder, Rewind (Backups for Shopify). Apps: Rewind, Replay (clone and sync Shopify stores).
0 Likes
dandelion3
Excursionist
97 0 8

I'll have a look at it! Still do others backup??

0 Likes
WHGBTom
Excursionist
48 0 4

It strongly suggest backing up everything, you never know these days and it would save a lot of lost time and effort to simply re-up everything if you needed to.

WebHostGB.com
0 Likes
Maris___Excel_I
Tourist
20 0 1

For this I would suggest the Excel Import Export app, which will allow you to save all Products, Collections and Customers in one Excel file: https://apps.shopify.com/excel-export-import

And if you damage something in your store, you can just import that same saved Excel file back as Import.

Maris

Maris, Excel Import Export for Shopify: https://apps.shopify.com/excel-export-import
0 Likes
Mike_Potter
Shopify Partner
74 0 23

There are a number of reasons why exporting data to Excel isn't a sufficient backup solution. We wrote a blog post about it at https://blog.rewind.io/2017/05/08/3-reasons-your-shopify-product-csv-file-might-not-help-you-when-yo...

(Although that talks about Shopify CSV files, it applies to all CSV exports)

The main one is that the images in the file are deleted when products are deleted. A backup system needs to save and rewind those images in the case of an emergency. There's a reason why our backup app Rewind has 250 5-star reviews - that's one of it's main benefits.

Mike

Co-Founder, Rewind (Backups for Shopify). Apps: Rewind, Replay (clone and sync Shopify stores).
0 Likes
Maris___Excel_I
Tourist
20 0 1

Hi, Mike!

Yep, you are super right about that - I have also stumbled on that same issue about images.

Well, our Excel Import Export app is brand new, we don't have reviews yet, so you - great job, guys! Total Respect.

Maris

Maris, Excel Import Export for Shopify: https://apps.shopify.com/excel-export-import
0 Likes
WHGBTom
Excursionist
48 0 4

You could always get an AWS account and store your backups on there. Its cheap and very reliable.

WebHostGB.com
0 Likes