Banned from using Payment gateway?

Shopify Partner
157 0 33

Perhaps simply clicking "Accept" on the Terms of Service was a bad idea.
Perhaps actually reading said Terms of Service, or evens skimming it would have been a better course of action.

You didn't sign up for a free social media account, you came to Shopify to further extend, and/or run your business. And you didn't read the fine print of your business contract with Shopify?

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 1

Funny.  Knives aren't weapons.  They are tools!  Nonetheless, how nice is it for shopify to not allow us to use their credit card gateway b/c we sell "weapons", then charge US an additional 1%, because we aren't using their gateway.  That, in itself...is not good business.

Perhaps, shopify should take the initiative in the beginning to let us know...."HEY, we see you are selling weapons and have signed up for our credit card gateway....sorry, but we don't accept weapons". 

When I spoke to a lady yesterday, she even told me that it can take "some time" before they "CATCH ON" to inform anyone who may violated their terms.

Also, in trying to find another gateway, the fees are astronimical, maybe that should have been told as well.

Thanks for your comment in questioning if I had read the terms of service.

0 Likes
Tourist
6 0 1

Kurt,

Thanks.  

I did just find that skip jack will accept us.  Fees are better than Paypal.  $100 annual fee, 2.1% and $.10.   Only thing is...they have a 3 yr agreement.  Their email responses seem to be same day.

Something to consider......if they will take us, then surely they won't have an issue with your products.

0 Likes
Excursionist
13 0 5

I reward the Terms of Service and my items apparently fall under the category "pseudo-pharmaceuticals".

Really? Vitamin C, Organic Seaweed, Lavendar Bar Soap, Sun Screen are considered pseudo pharms???

I realize it is all about liability protection because it isn't enough to have disclaimers littering every listing in addition to the manufacturers disclaimers plastered all over their items as well. Afterall, someone might choke on some Chia Seed Oil and try to sue Shopify for processing the credit card that facilitated this horrible act of Chia Seed negligence. 

The one percent fee is just icing on the cake......well, icing on Shopify's cake

2 Likes
Shopify Partner
4 0 2

Hey @Kurt_S I know this is an old thread, but it's exactly the problem my supplements client is having setting up their store. Shopify promotes "Launch your ecommerce supplements store - in minutes!" but in reality they have set up a few roadblocks with the gateway. They denied us Shopify Payments, recommended EMB Pinwheelpay who said "NO can't for Canadians" and also Authorize.net who apparently have the same TOS.

Did you ever get your store set up, and if so which gateway are you using?

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1
I’m going through the exact same thing and being based outside of North America and Europe leaves me with even less options. Try to talk to Shopify about disabling Shopify payments on your store altogether and renable Stripe on your store. That’s what i’m trying to do, hopefully it can get my store up and running again. If they enable it then everything should be fine. Otherwise my store will be out of business in no time.
1 Like
Shopify Partner
4 0 2
We ended up going with PayPal Payflow Pro. Good luck!

Adam
--
AE
adam@aemediainc.com
0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 1

if you're looking for payment gateways you can choose from here , there are more than 200 different payment gateways for ecommerce purposes. i hope you will find the best payment methods according to your need and requirements. 

Buying a motorcycle is easy, uncomplicated! Fill in the contact form and you're done! Motorrad ankauf

0 Likes
1 0 0

I’m going through the same thing too. I sell a coffee mug that says team haldol which is the same spelling as a medication. Kicked me off Shopify payments for selling pharmaceuticals and related product. Emailed them, 24hrs later no response still. Thinking this may be a scumbag move and a way to skim money with the additional high risk fees associated with using other gateways. Looking into other platforms now. First and probably last store here

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Cecilia, just wondering if you ever got sorted with an alternative payment provider?  Am also based outside of the US...  Shopify put me in contact with EMB, but their site is very US-centric and their online enquiry form is asking for info I'm not at all comfortable providing, at this stage at least (i.e. bank account details and Shopify store login & passwords?!). Anyway, trawling around on here and found your post - appreciate if you could advise?  Thanks!

0 Likes