Bar code scanner.

Highlighted
4 0 0

I sell custom fishing lures. I have a large inventory of small items. I got the Shopify bar code app in hopes it would help me accurately keep up with my inventory when selling with POS. However,I’ve tried to get the bar codes to scan with my Iphone and IPad and it’s very unreliable. More than half the tags don’t scan or I have to waste a bunch of time moving the tag around to get my iPhone or IPad to read the tag. My question is would it be worth me purchasing the bar code scanner and do I have to be using the POS pro version in order to use the barcode feature?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
14 0 5

Hi walshhog!

In my experience, bar code scanners can certainly be more accurate, but it's not a guarantee.

If you're open to 3rd party applications, my company has made an app to handle this exact problem. We also thought counting inventory was difficult and unreliable, so we developed an app specifically for counting inventory with a phone.

Here's a short video showcasing how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlzyf5hTRcc&t=4s 

And here's the app in the Shopify app store: https://apps.shopify.com/cohub-inventory

1 Like
Highlighted
4 0 0
I guess maybe I wasn’t clear on my post. I need to scan items as they are
sold. My items are small and some paint schemes are similar. They are all
one of a kind. The problem I have is that the image of the items on POS is
very small and you can’t zoom in on it. I need to be able to scan each item
as it is sold to make sure it is indeed the correct item. Because they are
on of a kind paint schemes, once an item is sold it’s gone. I need to make
sure each item sold is tracked correctly to make sure my inventory remains
correct
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
14 0 5

Ah I see! My mistake.

I'd say give the barcode scanner a shot then. Having developed the app I mentioned, the convenience of using your phone for scanning things is great, but it can certainly be less accurate. Since accuracy is important for your one of a kind items, I'd probably spend the money and get a barcode scanner.

0 Likes