Best practices and apps for multilingual site

AFis
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi everyone,

I am about to start an online store and at first it will be for German customers in German language. However, I later want to expand to English-speaking countries for which I need a website in English. I want to set up everything correctly from the beginning to avoid re-making the whole site in the future. I highly appreciate any help for those questions regarding this topic:

1. What is the most Google-friendly way to handle this? My domain is a .com domain.
Should I use "exampledomain.com/de" and "exampledomain.com/en" or is something like "de.exampledomain.com" and "en.exampledomain.com" better? Or is there a different and better solution? I was also thinking about having my exampledomain.com for English content and de.exampledomain.com or exampledomain.com/de for the German version because sales in English speaking countries will be higher probably. Since I will be using shopify, it should also be compatible with shopify. (Lots of requirements, I know :( )

2. I would like to have a drop-down menu where people can select either English or German. What is a good app or theme for that? I don't need an app to do the translation but a feature that lets people chose their language since I can do the translations myself. SEO-friendly way to do this would be awesome! I have heard of weglot or langify but I don't know if they are what I'm looking for...

3. Is there an e-mail service that sends mails (order confirmation, registration, shipping etc.) to English customers in English but to German customers in German, depending on which language they used during check-out?

Thanks a lot!

The whole topic is quite confusing and I think others have the same problems.

0 Likes
weglot-team
Shopify Partner
21 0 6

Hi AFis,

Eugene from the Weglot Translate App team. Happy to help you on this!

1. Google requires that you have a specific URLs for each language. Whether it is subdomain (de.mydomain.com) or subdirectory (mydomain.com/de) is not very important as long as you clearly indicate where to find translated versions of your page to Google bots (using Hreflangs). We generally recommend to have English as your default language on mydomain.com and other languages on specific subdomains but it’s not compulsory.
  2. I’m not really objective here of course but I would say that Weglot is exactly what you need :) Our goal is to help you translate your store on the technical side (detecting your content and displaying it in any language) and content side (managing your translations). Weglot is SEO-friendly: All your translated pages will be automatically indexed on Google and we comply with all Google multilingual SEO recommandations (automatically adds Hreflangs, creates sudirectory for each languages)
  3. To translate your Shopify email notifications, you can follow our guide on the subject: https://support.weglot.com/article/89-shopify-translate-shopify-email-notifications

If you decide to try Weglot out, our support team is very reactive so don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any question: support@weglot.com

Best,

Eugene

AFis
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi Eugene,

Thank you for your reply as well as the link. I'll check it out soon. Just one question here: When people select the other language, does the domain change automatically? With some apps, it only changes the text.

I would definitely appreciate some commentsfrom others!

0 Likes
weglot-team
Shopify Partner
21 0 6

Hi,

If you're talking about the urls, the language change will not be seen for a human visitor: the URL will remain the same when you change between 2 languages. But for Google bots, we generate specific URLs for each language (and translated pages) so that your content is well-indexed on Google. At least, that's how Weglot works :)

Eugene

Rafa_GTranslate
Tourist
7 0 2

Dear AFis,

You can make your store multilingual with GTranslate: https://apps.shopify.com/multilingual-shop-by-gtranslate

Here, with easy setup, you'll have all your store and the future pages available in the selected languages.
GTransalte has free and paid plans, which start with a 15-day free trial.

With the paid plans, you have a sub-domain URL structure for translated pages, like es.example.com for Spanish, or you can assign a custom domain you own, like myspanishsite.com, for example.
Both are good in terms of SEO, and es.example.com is considered to be search engine friendly URL structure by Google.

GTranslate provides different looks of language selectors, which can be customized to better match your website design.
You can also enable auto-switch to browser language feature, which will show the translated page instead of the original without selecting a language.

Check the example store, to see how GTranslate works: https://www.myla.com/

Sending email copies depending on the language selected is also available here.

Make sure to try the service 15-day trial and contact Live Chat support if any questions.

0 Likes
Noor55
1 0 0

I'm really doubtful about serving different versions for Googlebot by user-agent because I am doubtful if that complies with all Google Multilingual SEO recommendations. In the long term all external inlinks will go to the URL that is visited by humans, which will be the main country. This basically means there is just going to be one language that gets all the external links. Therefore the links will be less relevant since German sites will, for example, link to English url.

I would say Weglot solution works fine but it is not optimal for SEO. 

0 Likes