Best practices for SEO (Vendor / Title)

steve_c
1 0 0

Hi all,

New user here.

I have set my shop up to have the product vendor name seperate from the title.

The product page looks as follows:

Blue & White Striped Shirt
Thomas Pink

That looks great and works really well on the search pages etc.

The problem is that the SEO title will be "Blue & White Striped Shirt".

Really, it should be "Thomas Pink Blue & White Shirt".

If I edit the SEO title manually, is this OK or should I incorporate the vendor into the product title?  This will make for some very long titles and will not look as asthetically pleasing.

Thanks in advance!

Stephen.

0 Likes

Hi Stephen.

It depends on how known the brand is. If the brand gets search volume, which you can discover from the Google Keyword Tool, chances are you'll benefit from having it in the title. If you are unsure, about shorter-tail keyword combinations (e.g. striped shirt or stripey shirt), I suggest you use Google Trends to figure out the more popular option.

For unknown brands, having the brand in the title is more likely to clog up character space.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
guillermocb
2 0 0

Is there a way for SEO to also pull (automatically) the Vendor info of my product into SEO's 'Page title' or 'Meta description'??

If not I strongly suggest this improvement! 

0 Likes

Yes, this can be done with some basic liquid.

<title>{% if template contains "product" %}{{ product.vendor }}{% endif %} {{ page_title }}</title>

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes
guillermocb
2 0 0

That's great! Many thanks Joshua!

0 Likes
Earlie
Shopify Partner
1 0 1

Hi guys,

I like the solution Joshua proposed but can't find out where in my theme liquid I have to paste the code.

Could you help me out?

Thx

Nick

myrnakeliher
1 0 0

I have the same issue, want to implement the code snippet above but don't know where to put it. Thanks!

0 Likes
elianarrg
1 0 0

Hi, thanks for this quick tip, but can you guide us where to put it in the ocde? in the theme.liquid section? or the product.liquid? pleaseeee

0 Likes
ToBoot
1 0 0

I have exactly the same question. The Vendor, or brand, is very important to our product seo and our titles are very long. As a new user I don't know how to add the liquid code and also have had to choose a font that lightens our titles purely for visuals, not a font I'd choose otherwise. I'm sure with experience all these things can be sorted with a knowledge of code, but for now we need to get our shop online asap. So EITLI5!

0 Likes