Best way to organize printer cartridges with printers?

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
730 0 56

I have a store on Volusion platform which has 6,000+ categories (printer models) and 2,400+ products (cartridges). The way they are organized is like this:

HP -> OfficeJet -> OfficeJet 2500 (This category might have several products)
HP is a collection, officejet is a sub collection, and officejet 2500 is a sub collection.

To see an example of this hierarchy, check out www.inkjets.com

What would be the proper way of doing this in Shopify? Would you create a collection called HP, with a sub collection called OfficeJet, which also has a sub collection called OfficeJet 2500 ? Then add several products into that "sub sub" collection? Or is there a different or better way of doing this? Also, products (cartridges) can belong to several collections (printers). Not sure if that poses any issue.

By the way, I also have a MySQL database on a 3rd party server that has all product codes, and printers in one giant database. Is there a way to use this MySQL database to generate all the category data in my Shopify store on the fly? Of course, I can't create 6,000+ collections and link them to 2,400+ products manually. I have to use my external MySQL database, and Shopify's API to make this happen with custom scripting. Just trying to figure out the best way to approach this.

0 Likes
2 0 0

hi! We're going through the same issue! I'm working for an ink cartridge company in Japan.

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a store on Volusion platform which has 6,000+ categories (printer models) and 2,400+ products (cartridges). The way they are organized is like this:

HP -> OfficeJet -> OfficeJet 2500 (This category might have several products)
HP is a collection, officejet is a sub collection, and officejet 2500 is a sub collection.

To see an example of this hierarchy, check out www.inkjets.com

What would be the proper way of doing this in Shopify? Would you create a collection called HP, with a sub collection called OfficeJet, which also has a sub collection called OfficeJet 2500 ? Then add several products into that "sub sub" collection? Or is there a different or better way of doing this? Also, products (cartridges) can belong to several collections (printers). Not sure if that poses any issue.

By the way, I also have a MySQL database on a 3rd party server that has all product codes, and printers in one giant database. Is there a way to use this MySQL database to generate all the category data in my Shopify store on the fly? Of course, I can't create 6,000+ collections and link them to 2,400+ products manually. I have to use my external MySQL database, and Shopify's API to make this happen with custom scripting. Just trying to figure out the best way to approach this.

0 Likes

Actually the best way to do this is to use the "Tags" in Shopify.

You can create custom rules to say that if a product has this "Tag", automatically add it to this category.

These should probably be in a JSON format in your database so it will likely be the easiest to convert it to CSV, adjust it there, then uploading it

Shopify Help center has this guide: https://help.shopify.com/en/themes/customization/collections/filter-collections-with-product-tags

Working on...
1. Product Lens (App that helps the middle of the funnel marketing)
2. Strategy + Tactics: Marketing Blog
3. Want store feedback? Try this free tool (You gotta give to receive)
4. 60-day SEO email course
5. FB Marketing 102 email newsletter
0 Likes